Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Need waterpump!!! Can anyone provide a lead?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figured I'd get 75k out of mine when I changed the belts at 42k. Well, I made it to 65k and ended up having to pay for the belts and pump a little early. Mine had the plastic impellers. It had been about 6 years since the last belt change so , age-wise, I was probably due anyway though the belts looked fine.

I've heard on this thread that Porsche is out of pumps but have they said when/if they will have more? For those of us who need them now, this is very disturbing.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Jim Demas
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd...

Thanks. I am really hesitating in thinking about reinstalling my original pump... but these supposedly OEM Laso pumps that say they are Made In Germany... must be made in East Germany in an old Trabant car factory. :-) They exhibit issues such as the bevelled hose flange that has a deep depression in it. What caused this? They are working off a faulty casting model where they created a depression in this area (before machining)... and is misproportioned... since that area ends up being lower than the dimensions after machining the flange. So, this does not provide a good initial seal or even surface against the radiator hose. I have received two of these pumps... and they exhibit the exact same flaw in the exact same area. And I have conformed from other sources that this is the way all of these are coming in. Though this can be filled with something like JB Weld... it is ridiculous that these parts are not made right in the first place. Jeez... after the first one was made this way... how could Laso ever make the second and third, etc., this way?? When compared side by side with my factory pump... it is hard to believe that Laso was the original OEM supplier to Porsche. The units are not the same. Even the water passageways are shaped differently. And dimensions of things like the nose of the pump where the right angle fitting (951.106.313.00) sits... is different. I am beginning to wonder what "OEM" means when talking about these parts. These are clearly not the same parts as Porsche put in my car. And... let's face it... no supplier is going to change the design of a part for a car when that car has been discontinued. Manufacturers don't do that... they just keep supplying the same part they always did. I just do not believe that Laso was the supplier to Porsche for these pumps. I believe that they decided to make the pumps for the cars after the fact... they were not the original supplier to Porsche for these 968 pumps.

As far as Porsche availability of pumps... the estimate I received the other day was that they are backordered... and showing 12 weeks. I have someone at a dealership investigating this further for me... and will relate the results.

It is quite unbelievable that Porsche does not maintain an adequate supply of a part that is known to fail. One could understand a week or two or three in procuring a part... especially for a recent production street car (not a collector car)... but 12 weeks?? Unbelievable...

-- Jim
Old 07-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Tom pointed out, and Part#s from PET show, the 89 944, S2 and 968 all can share the same water pump. It makes sense because the block is the same. So a remanufactured S2 pump for $123 sounds like the way to go to me.

I can confirm that the pumps are interchangeable between these models. I acquired a '89 2.7 944 motor which just happened to have a new pump. When the pump on my 968 started flaking out, I just swapped the 2.7 pump onto the 968. The pumps were the same, still working great.

Eric
Old 07-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Jim Demas
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_k
As Tom pointed out, and Part#s from PET show, the 89 944, S2 and 968 all can share the same water pump. It makes sense because the block is the same. So a remanufactured S2 pump for $123 sounds like the way to go to me.

Eric
I am hesitant to use any remanufactured pump except a Porsche pump. I know of too many 3rd party rebuilt/remanufactured pumps that fail early due to inferior quality bearings and seals.

-- Jim
Old 07-13-2006, 11:06 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

That's good to known about pump interchangebility from car to car. I too will still to Porsche supplied pumps. I have an extra with 25K on it. In a pinch I can still use it I guess. Core fee is $100...Wonder if I could get half that?

Harvey

Quick Reply: Need waterpump!!! Can anyone provide a lead?