Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Power lock question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006 | 05:54 PM
glencase
Racer

Default 968 Power lock question

How do you get into your car if the battery is dead and your doors are locked, and your hood is closed?

It hasn't happened to me yet, luckily my hood was open so I just reconnected the battery and was able to unlock my doors.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2006 | 08:18 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Shhhh! If you remove the front bumperette and the driverside fog there is a wire in there that will release the hood.

Some consider it wise to check the status of the wire prior to an event.
Old 06-01-2006 | 09:57 PM
moronputz
Advanced

Unless you have had the door handles off you should still be able to unlock the doors without power.

There is a white plastic link about 2 inches long that runs from the back of the lock barrel to the lock unit. When you operate the key you usually just trigger the micro-switch which then triggers the solenoids to lock/unlock. But if you turn the key all the way, it manually moves this link and unlocks the door. At least that is what is supposed to happen if everything is properly adjusted.

Test it to be sure. Disconnect the battery (after lowering the windows) and then see if the key will manually lock/unlock the door.

Usually when you remove the door handles (or even just undo them and let them hang loose without full removal), the link will drop off the back of the lock barrel. If this happens and you lose power you are lost. This had happened to my 944 S2 but thankfully I found it before I ever had a problem.
Old 06-02-2006 | 11:22 AM
glencase
Racer

Originally Posted by moronputz
Unless you have had the door handles off you should still be able to unlock the doors without power.
Previous owner replaced the door handle rubber gaskets, it's possible that they fell off then.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2006 | 07:17 PM
moronputz
Advanced

Safe bet that the links are still there just not connected to the lock barrel. If you partially remove the door handle and look in the door you will probably see them hanging loose from the lock assembly. Only remove the handle as much as you need to do this. A bit of careful use of some wire and you can get them standing up and them slip them back onto the ball on the end of the lock barrel.

If they are hanging you will need to spin them to vertical but they will need to spin towards the inside of the car as there is not enough room on the outside of the door. A little difficult to picture from this description, I know, but when you are looking at it you shoudl be abel to understand and work it out.

Simply get the link standing vertical up from the lock assembly, position the cup at the top end of the link on the ball at the end of the lock barrel and reconnect it. It will probably take a few attempts but it is possible.

I used a coat hanger as it is good and stiff. I straightened it and then bent a pit about 1/2 inch long on one end. I used this bent end to carefully rotate the link to vertical and then slipped the straight end through the top of the link to hold it there while I repositioned the door handle. Then just (almost) lined up the ball and cup, removed the coathanger wire and used a screwdriver to push the ball/cup together. Reinsert eh door handle and tighten the screw.

Sounds simple but it took a few attempts.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 968 Power lock question