968 Forum 1992-1995

Check-out the Rack on that one!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check-out the Rack on that one!

I have had front end difficulties with my car since I bought it. First I replaced the worn tires with new well balance Goodyear's. This help a fair amount, but I was still getting a wondering feel. Next I replaced the the shock and springs with Koni's This helped a lot. I thought the problem was cured but on occasion I would still get this wondering and pulling that just kept driving me crazy. Now after a bit more research and money I have replaced the power steering rack. I bought a remanufactured one from Griffiths. http://www.griffiths.com/porsche/steering/ . I bought the "long" assembly option which included new tie rod ends. This rack could easily be mistaken for brand new from the factory! I could not have been more happy when I looked at it.

The installation went pretty smooth... The usual one stripped bolt and a fair amount of fiddling trying to reattach the steering u-joints back to the rack. Counting everything I did including clean-up and bleeding the system it took 6 hours total over a Saturday and Sunday. Not a bad do it yourself project. I am taking it for an alignment tomorrow, but the shake down check for leaks drive I took was very satisfying so far. No incidence of pull/wondering. If it drives even better after the alignment, I will be a very happy guy!

Last edited by Miles968; 04-30-2006 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:39 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Miles,

Nice rack indeed.

Do you get a rebate when you send your old unit back to them?

Richard
Old 04-30-2006, 08:51 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

I paid an extra 200 core deposit when I ordered it. I hope to receive a credit when they get the core back.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Miles,

Good luck...You kept the power steering option I assume?

Regards,

Jason
Old 05-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Car is on the alignment rack right now. Yes, I did keep the power assisted rack. I have been on a diet to lose weight so that it all balances out in the end
Old 05-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Alignment has been completed. We ran into a slight glitch trying to center the steering wheel. We had to remove the steering wheel to realign so that it would be straight when the car is going straight. It was not to bad until.... I diconnected the battery and diconnected the wires to the dreaded airbag. We reassembled with the wheel straight and everything working well and reconnected the battery after the airbag was connected. Of course now I have the dreaded master ! and airbag light combo staying ON !!!! Now all I need is a "hammer" to reset the fault light. Other than that the car feels and drives much better.

Quick Reply: Check-out the Rack on that one!