968 Forum 1992-1995

Original alarm vs Alpine 8440

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 12:00 AM
wildwestrider
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original alarm vs Alpine 8440

When I bought my 92 968 last week, the original owner handed me an Alpine remote for the aftermarket alarm and told me that the Remote was no good and that they were no longer available. I have found a universal remote on ebay that I might give a try to unless someone has another suggestion.

I have noticed that the rear side windows have decals that say "Porsche Alarm"
and I have further noticed that when I un-lock the doors that I get a single blink out of both of the Red LED door lock buttons that seems to indicate to me that the factory alarm is working at some level,........I have tried to manually arm the factory system doing the 3 lock and unlock motions in rapid succession, but no indication (blinking LEDs) that the alarm is armed.

I did notice in the owners manual that the factory alarm does monitor the stereo as well as doors, hood, trunk, and glove box, so wondering if the factory alarm is inoperative since the OEM Radio has been replaced.

Any thoughts from the collective intelligencia???

Brian Collins
Austin, TX
Old 09-13-2005, 01:30 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a quick test that you may have already tried lock the doors with the window down then reach in and open the glove box. The alarm should go off if the factory alarm is working.

Personally I would remove the aftermarket alarm. The only thing the factory alarm lacks is keyless entry.

Quick Reply: Original alarm vs Alpine 8440