968 Forum 1992-1995

Limited slip madness

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 11:18 AM
TurboCab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Limited slip madness

Yesterday I made a wheel spin with my 968 turbo and noticed two long black strips on the road. Being a cabriolet, I don’t expect to see both tires spinning, because the LSD supposedly was not an option in the cabriolet models. I’m I correct in my assumption? I always believe that only the LSD's spin both tires.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:36 AM
flash968
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LSD was an option in the cab, though rare - M030 was not offered in the cab - LSD is not part of the M030 package, though it often accompanied it - this is a common confusion

sounds like you got lucky - have fun
Old 07-19-2005, 11:47 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Cab has a factory installed Torsen LSD unit.

I have even seen a tiptronic cab with LSD.

What are your option codes?
Old 07-19-2005, 12:26 PM
TurboCab
Racer

As soon as I get home today, I'll check my option codes. (M220 =LSD). However the question is, are non LSD capable of spinning both wheels during hard launch? Check this thread:
LSD Thread
Old 07-19-2005, 12:38 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Yes, non LSD trannys can get two wheels to spin. Was one tire track longer than the other? Its not particularly good for either of them, tho it can be fun!

Regards,
Old 08-01-2005, 12:15 PM
d993
Racer

I think it's more fun powersliding a 944 than simply burning out in a straight line.
Especially when you just do it, and not turn it into a so-called SPORT.
But the Japs claim to have "invented" it. Must have been really bored to consider drifting a sport.
You know, I can win EVERY drifting competition if I wanted to:
I would take a 944 (or just about ANY car with independent front and rear suspension), remove the suspension and mount it sideways. Same with the steering rack and wheel. Then proceed to drive "sideways" around a track as fast as I could.
Of course I would need to install a winshield wiper on my passenger side door glass in case it rains.......Oh, and I would have to be careful not to brake too hard, so I don't roll over!

What's next? 180 and 360 competitions? Wow, now that would be a real sport: "hey, wanna go 180'ing this weekend"?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:47 AM
IceWater
Instructor

Here's my understanding of it:

An open diff applies equal torque to both wheels and the average speed of the wheels equals the speed of the drive shaft (multiplied by the final drive ratio). The reason why you almost always get only one wheel to spin is because one wheel will almost always start to slip even just slightly before the other one because the road and tire conditions can never be identical on both sides. Since the coefficient of friction for a slipping tire is less than a rolling tire, the spinning wheel now can only support a fraction of the torque that it could when it was rolling. Since both wheels get equal torque, the rolling tire will not reach enough torque to cause it to spin. The thread referenced above showed a two-tire patch laid down by a car with an open diff. The only way I can explain this is that maybe once one of the wheels started to slip, enough applied engine torque went to accelerating the spinning wheel (making it spin faster and faster) that the torque going to the wheels was enough to break the rolling tire free. Once they're both spinning, it could be posssible to keep them both spinning.

To check for an LSD, you can jack up both rear tires simultaneously and spin one of them. If the other spins the same direction you definitely have an LSD. If they spin in opposite directions, you either have an open diff or a Torsen LSD (which sometimes spins opposite, sometimes the same depending on the balance of drag between the two wheels). If they spin opposite, the only way to tell for sure that I know of is to place one wheel on pavement and the other in dirt or gravel and do a hard launch. If you can get the wheel on pavement to spin, you have an LSD.

Hope it helps,
Tom
Old 08-02-2005, 01:36 PM
TurboCab
Racer

Tom:
Thanks for the explanation. It is much appreciated!
Old 08-02-2005, 11:39 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 415 Posts

I have a 93 coupe w/LSD, and one rear wheel turns opposite the other. How do I tell if I have a Torsen LSD?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:16 AM
IceWater
Instructor

If you know you have an LSD and the wheels spin opposite, it is a Torsen. They switched in 93 from clutch to torsen, but I believe the early 93 cars still had clutch.

Quick Reply: Limited slip madness