968 Forum 1992-1995

How to clean stained aluminum manifold cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 01:27 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean stained aluminum manifold cover

What's the best way to clean off all the oxidation / stains on the aluminum manifold and engine cover on a 968?
Old 05-29-2005, 10:22 AM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best thing I've found has been a rag, lacquer thinner and patience.

Early 968's (perhaps up to the significant 93/94 M/Y change) had injection-rail and cam covers which were finished with a high-quality metallic paint. IF ANYBODY KNOWS a source for the paint Porsche originally used for these parts, I'd love to learn about it.

On later cars and and on replacement parts there is no finish, just raw metal. Lacquer thinner doesn't damage the finish on the earlier metalwork- (I know because I have a 1993 car which has the paint in place), and works well on the raw aluminum. If you're sure you have the unfinished metal, you could treat it with Aluminum Jelly, being very careful not to let it etch the metal. I'd have any parts off the car before using that, however.

The manifold itself can be repainted with hi-temp aluminum paint: after cleaning the manifold you can spray the paint into an appropriate receptacle, and then daub it on with a paper towel and a small brush. Worked for me.

The photo below shows a stock '93 cam cover, a 'new' injection rail cover and a manfold painted by the method described above.

P.S. (In anticipation of questions-) The cam cover bolts have been nickel-plated.

Last edited by John Etnier; 05-29-2005 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: How to clean stained aluminum manifold cover