968 Forum 1992-1995

front wheel bearing grease

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 11:08 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default front wheel bearing grease

What is the proper grease for the front wheel bearings? Is there any difference in lube between the inner and outer bearing? One of the racers was going through bearings until they started using different lubes. I don't remember which ones where!!

Thanks, Mike
Old 05-01-2005, 11:59 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used something recommended by Paragon. It was blue. I suggest you call them. 8K miles after the change I still am very happy.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:28 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Opinions here are going to be all over the board. Any quality wheel bearing grease is fine for any street wheel bearing. FWIW, Karl at Racers Edge will only guarantee the billet hubs he sells if you pack the bearings with Mobilith SHC220. Any other grease voids the warranty. IIRC this is the grease that the circle track boys once used?? Anyway, it’s a fav with Karl so on my track car I packed my front and rear wheel bearings with it and also my alternator bearings

Update: Just talked to Karl about something unrelated and while he no longer insist on Mobilith, he strenuously suggest it

Cliff

Last edited by chudson; 03-07-2023 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:51 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by chudson
Opinions here are going to be all over the board. Any quality wheel bearing grease is fine for any street wheel bearing. FWIW, Karl at Racers Edge will only guarantee the billet hubs he sells if you pack the bearings with Mobilith SHC220. Any other grease voids the warranty. IIRC this is the grease that the circle track boys once used?? Anyway, it’s a fav with Karl so on my track car I packed my front and rear wheel bearings with it and also my alternator bearings

Update: Just talked to Karl about something unrelated and while he no longer insist on Mobilith, he strenuously suggest it

Cliff

Do you actually pop the seals off the rear bearings and /clean them pack them. Is this hard to do ? Do you put the seals back on after packing ? That is a double row sealed bearing IIRC??
Would that be an annual track car prep item to check off the list?
Old 03-08-2023, 08:12 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jsheiry
Do you actually pop the seals off the rear bearings and /clean them pack them. Is this hard to do ? Do you put the seals back on after packing ? That is a double row sealed bearing IIRC??
Would that be an annual track car prep item to check off the list?
John - answers are:

Yes, I purchased new bearings and removed the seals. This was when I dropped everything except the engine (from the track car) and did the big overhaul. The new rear bearings had inner and outer seals - that surprised me a bit but I removed both, washed out all the original grease and repacked with Mobilith. Yes, I did risk doing this in a "less than pristine" environment, but wanted to none the less. No different than packing wheel bearings in any shop and I actually did this in my office with the bearing covered at every step. Is it hard? - I have a process for removing the seals - too much to type here and would also involve posting pics. Did I put the seals back on? Absolutely! You had better! Yes, they are double row ball bearings. Annual? No. Pressing the bearings damages them so when I do again, I will have a new set prepared and ready to install. I think that's all the answers

It's worth me adding this. I'm a fanatic about certain things being done certain ways especially on the car that I track. I really don't suggest any "normal" person (I probably don't qualify as one...) disassembling their rear wheel bearings or the bearings in their alternator to improve the grease.

Cliff

Last edited by chudson; 03-09-2023 at 10:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jsheiry (03-09-2023)

Quick Reply: front wheel bearing grease