968 Forum 1992-1995

Gear lever stuck in gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 10:53 AM
Heyou
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear lever stuck in gear

Problem - Gear lever sticks in 1st or 2nd and won't come out without some considerable from me to get it into neutral - this happens, in traffic and/or whenever i bring the car to a halt when it's in either 1st or 2nd gear. BUT it doesn't happen every time, probably about 60% of the time and it happens right from cold or after a track day in the same manner. I can bring the car to a halt, in 1st or 2nd gear, and making sure that i've pushed the clutch pedal completely to the floor, the gear lever will be stuck in gear, i force it out and into neutral and without letting go of the clutch pedal and i can put it back into and out of either 1st or 2nd gear without any problems! I have learned to get round it by simply knocking it out of gear just before i come completely to a halt but it's not ideal and needs to be sorted as i can get caught out when parking.

The obvious conclusion is that the clutch is still dragging with the pedal fully depressed thus it making it difficult to get it out of gear in this condition. Only very occasionally do i notice the clutch dragging when the car continues to creep forward with the pedal fully depressed and have to put the brakes on. This doesn't happen if bring the car to a halt in any other gear except 1st or 2nd, although i suspect that it's probably still dragging but the forces on the gearbox are much lower in 3rd to 6th gear that can easily overcome that force and get it out gear.

Background and parts fitted.
- New OE clutch fitted 4k miles ago, everything replaced, including pressure plate, thrust bearing, new fork and bearings, etc, etc. This is when the problem started.

When i collected the car they told me that the pedal and all available adjustments had been made to get the bite point up as high as possible but it was a new clutch and for a few while, until the new clutch gets some wear on the friction plate and beds in the bite point will be close the floor. I accepted that as sounding about right for a new hydraulic clutch.

Work carried out and parts fitted since to try and fix the problem.
- Drained hydraulic fluid from reservoir and replaced with new super ATE blue and system bled 3 times - No change.
- New flexible master/slave hydraulic hose fitted - No change.
- New master cylinder - No change.
- New slave cylinder - No change.

So if it's not hydraulic! it's got to be something else but what? the parts involved that would prevent it from properly disengaging are only a few :- The release bearing, the release fork, the release fork swivel bearings that it pivots on, the pressure plate and the friction plate. My feeling at the moment is the friction plate could be sticking on the spline preventing it from fully disengaging?

The garage that fitted the clutch deny that it could be anything to do with their fitting of the clutch (maybe something not tightened up properly or a washer/spacer not fitted or fitted incorrectly) that would cause this, AND maybe they are right! it could be that all of the associated parts that release the friction plate could not be fitted incorrectly or the clutch wouldn't work, they either work or they would have fallen off by now?

The only thing they will agree to is that the clutch kit that was fitted wasn't supplied by them, and so it's got to be the clutch kit that i supplied that's at fault (but they'll have to pull the clutch to confirm this).

Has anyone got any previous experience of this condition and or any ideas what else could be causing this happen??

cheers

Del

Last edited by Heyou; 04-16-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:25 PM
300guy
Rennlist Member

Hey Del,

yep - I've got the same problem with my 944.

I have the same types of problems that you do. Also, I notice it SOMETIMES when I start the car (clutch to floor, in first gear) - I can feel that the starter is working too hard and the car JUST SLIGHTLY moves ahead.

Not sure how to fix it though... if I figure it out I'll let ya know.

Colin
Old 04-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Heyou
Track Day

Hi Colin

I haven't tried starting it in gear, i shall do so and let know if i get the same result.

Del

Quick Reply: Gear lever stuck in gear