968 Forum 1992-1995

968 w/ M030 for sale - BUYER BEWARE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 09:00 PM
d993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Scott, mo30's did have 'cast' drilled rotors.
That's what I meant, sorry, they were CAST that way.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:56 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

K, thanks for the correction!

Regards,
Old 12-03-2004, 02:39 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Roostie,

I think it's great that you posted your experience. Perhaps it was good that the deal fell through. I personally would walk (run) the other way if anyone didn't reveal nearly immediately (after an introductory conversation) that it was a salvage title vehicle. Stick with your purchasing plan (PPI, Carfax, thorough questions, etc...). I can see that you want the i's dotted and t's crossed...you never need to apologize for that. There are lots of good cars out there, but you'll just need to be patient.

Suggestion...join the PCA. You can do so (6 mo. temporary membership) before you own your Porsche. When you find a vehicle outside of your driving distance that appears to meet your requirements, call that regions president or technical chairman and ask for a member who owns and is knowledgeable on the model (968 in this case) you're looking at to look the car over for you. I have done this before on 2 occasions and recieved great feedback. I certainly would be happy to do the same for anyone else.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt,

Mike
Old 12-03-2004, 06:30 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Default Auction ends 12/04... must sell by 12/03?

I noticed in the auction that the owner states that the car must be sold by Friday 12/03 (today) even though the auction is not scheduled to end until 1:30 pm Pacific time on Saturday 12/04.

Does that seem odd? Or do we just make sure that we are the high bidder as of 11:59pm tonight if we want to buy the car officially through Ebay?
Old 12-03-2004, 07:49 PM
d993
Racer

Yes, I wanted to sell it by today if possible, but no, the car does not necessarily have to be purchased through eBay.
Actually, I would prefer to sell it to someone who can actually see it in person, have a PPI, etc.
But that's not always possible since not everyone who's interested in this car resides in the Atlanta area.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

d993, you have a highly desirable car on your hands, I'm convinced you've been approached by a number of enthusiasts who are seeking exactly this sort of platform.

I'm curious about your intentions when you state that a non-refundable deposit of 3K must be made within 48 hours? You are perfectly justified in asking proof a potential buyer is serious, but as far as marketing tactics, this sort of extreme protection ain't business friendly. And no matter how trustworthy an individual you may be, I can't think of a sane person sending you unsecured funds. This one requirement of yours may drive away potential buyers. Just a thought.

Have you had a chance to make a picture of your option sticker? I'm also intrigued by the salvage title awarded by the insurance company, you mentioned that a stolen vehicule that remains unfound for a certain period is considered total loss since victim must be fully refunded for the car, are you saying the thief drove the car for months before the insurance co. recovered the car? Also, what parts of the car were repainted, and why?

Your car is getting extensive coverage on this thread, one of your best showroom, keep it up!

Regards,
Chris
Old 12-03-2004, 10:09 PM
d993
Racer

Chris,
I'm basically looking for serious buyers, and I hope that my methods and/or requirements of payment doesn't scare anyone away, but the person who started this thread is proof positive of what ridiculous obstacles one can encounter when trying to sell a car.
Critics will be ever-present when you're talking about a highly sought after car.

When the car was stolen, I don't know how long it took before it was recovered, obviously too long if the previous owner was paid out the claim.

The right fender and front bumper cover were repainted (from scratches, no damage of any type)

Unfortunately, I'm still out of town, and will return late morning tomorrow, so anyone who wants additional pictures (and please describe exactly what you want to see) you can email me at ddme58@yahoo.com .
Thanks.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:13 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

d993, I understand your concerns, and I'm not attempting to speak up for others, but I think your deposit specifications are simply not reasonable. Whether you're trading automobiles, properties, or other objects, both sellor and buyer must build safety in their mutual agreement, in asking for a large non-refundable deposit you're asking a potential buyer to take on a huge risk. Someone willing to pay a few hundreds for a PPI should be considered serious enough IMO.

Don't bash the 924 too much, without it the 968 series would have never existed, and ultimately without it's successful successor the 944, Porsche may have gone out of business!

Keep us posted.

Regards,
Chris
Old 12-04-2004, 07:50 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Default we have a winner... krazyfrank!

Hopefully Mr. Frank will post here and report how the car is. $14,850 seems pretty darn fair. I wonder what happened to the guy that offered $18k as reported by the seller in the questions and answers posted with the auction.

If krazyfrank is the same Frank who asked question #1 in the auction and said he was buying the car for his son... well, that sure is a much nicer car than the '72 Fiat Spider I had when I was 16.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:52 PM
Mike in Atlanta
Intermediate

Default Hate I missed this

Crap, havent had internet service since wed am or I would have been interested in looking at this car for myself. Even with the 'issues', a in person look over could have answered any doubts I would have had myself.

O well,

Mike
Old 12-05-2004, 12:47 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

d993, David isn't this 968 the one that was traded on the Supra?
Old 12-05-2004, 06:20 AM
d993
Racer

John,
What's up man?
We haven't talked in a while.
Yes, this was that 968.
Hey, nothing new on Raja's stage 3 kit he got from you. The installation is still incomplete. Way too much going on. I've been in and out of town a lot lately and didn't have time to help him out.
I'll give you a call sometime.
David
Old 12-05-2004, 01:22 PM
Clem
Racer

Any luck with the option sticker?
Old 12-05-2004, 03:02 PM
d993
Racer

Yes, I took pictures of it, but it's not very clear at all. The info on it is very faded.
It just doesn't come out well enough in a picture, even though I tried taking it with/without the flash.
I can email you the pics I took anyway (even though the car is technically sold).
Send me an email.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:29 AM
por944trs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi David,
Just came up on this thread and wanted to tell you that the S2 cab we bought from you has worked out great, it's a good car and you and your bro did a great job selling it to us.Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 968 w/ M030 for sale - BUYER BEWARE!