968 Forum 1992-1995

Creaking, rattling, front suspension problem solved

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 02:30 AM
gnosis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking, rattling, front suspension problem solved

Over the course of a few weeks, my front right suspension developed a creaking sound as I went over bumps or undulations in the road surface. After browsing on here I decided it must be the ball joint in the A-arm that was the culprit, as they're known to fall apart. However I found that it wasn't the ball joint, but the caster block that mounts the rear of the A-arm to the chassis. Although upon visual inspection this mount looked fine, it was 100% responsible for the creaking and groaning that's been going on.

I swapped out the A-arm for a new one and although at first things quietened down, there was still an annoying rattle now and then, so I knew it wasn't the ball joint. But when I swapped out the caster mount, the problem was solved.

So if your front suspension is making creaking and groaning noises that most of the posts on here suggest might be caused by the ball joint, try checking your caster mounts first. They're a whole lot cheaper to replace!

Oh, and just a reminder. It's recommended that you torque the caster mount bolts once you have the car back on the ground. While you're at it, don't forget to torque your wheel nuts too, which I forgot about until I got back from the test drive. Lucky for me, the wheel stayed put despite my stupidity!

Clayton

Quick Reply: Creaking, rattling, front suspension problem solved