968 Forum 1992-1995

Heat shield question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 08:09 PM
Apex
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Heat shield question

This is probably just an early vs late car thing, wondering if someone can explain or confirm. My early 92 has a "heat shield" bolted to the side of the block—a simple T-shape piece of metal held to the block by two relatively gigantic M8 bolts. Two holes in the shield for plastic clips to support the main engine harness under the intake manifold.

Since I'm deep into a cleaning and refresh I didn't like the corroded look of this heat shield and looked up the possibility of buying a nice shiny cad-plated replacement and WHOA - what's in the catalog is not my piece at all! Pic below... but all the part sites say this fits my couple.

The new one is much bigger than mine, but with only one hole for the harness clip. Can anyone enlighten? Or... ideally... a pic of how it looks installed.

944-101-033-04

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2024, 03:56 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Can you post a picture of what you found on your engine?

Cliff
The following users liked this post:
Yogii (06-24-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 12:31 AM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 150 Posts

There are actually two plates on the exhaust side. What you have is one in the picture, the other is #25 in section 104-00 in PET.
Old 06-25-2024, 12:26 PM
Apex
Instructor

Cliff and DSMblue, thanks.

DSM actually this one's on the intake side... #25 I replaced a number of years ago because of a rattle.

Here are a few pics to explain. With apologies for the giant images.

Two M8's fix it to the block - the two plastic clips visible

What mine looks like—after painting—original is cadmium plated

Part 19 - page 101-10 - ignore my highlights about temp sensors 😁

on edit: and actually, I now see the bolts in the diagram are horizontal, while mine are VERTICAL in the block. 🧐

Last edited by Apex; 06-25-2024 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 07:41 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Apex
Cliff and DSMblue, thanks.

DSM actually this one's on the intake side... #25 I replaced a number of years ago because of a rattle.

Here are a few pics to explain. With apologies for the giant images.

Two M8's fix it to the block - the two plastic clips visible

What mine looks like—after painting—original is cadmium plated

Part 19 - page 101-10 - ignore my highlights about temp sensors 😁

on edit: and actually, I now see the bolts in the diagram are horizontal, while mine are VERTICAL in the block. 🧐
The last picture is one at the top, and only holds the wiring. The initial picture I believe mounts much lower on the block.
Old 06-26-2024, 01:41 PM
Apex
Instructor

OH thank you - I see what you're saying now - the big shield is below the balance shaft, the part I've been questioning is above. Dumb mistake on my part—I'm really good at making dumb mistakes.

Mystery solved—there is no way that shield is on the left-hand side of the car as the PET indicates. I went out and looked and Part #19 is actually on the opposite side, oriented vertically, not horizontally as the diagram indicates, shielding the oil level sensor from the exhaust manifold heat as one would expect. That's a massive diagram error, but we all know the PET is riddled with small (and now at least one large) mistakes.

Since we're geeking out over the PET—anyone have a part number for what we now know is that harness holder above? Can't find it.
Old 06-27-2024, 10:29 AM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Apex
OH thank you - I see what you're saying now - the big shield is below the balance shaft, the part I've been questioning is above. Dumb mistake on my part—I'm really good at making dumb mistakes.

Mystery solved—there is no way that shield is on the left-hand side of the car as the PET indicates. I went out and looked and Part #19 is actually on the opposite side, oriented vertically, not horizontally as the diagram indicates, shielding the oil level sensor from the exhaust manifold heat as one would expect. That's a massive diagram error, but we all know the PET is riddled with small (and now at least one large) mistakes.

Since we're geeking out over the PET—anyone have a part number for what we now know is that harness holder above? Can't find it.
I tried (and failed) to find a part number for that! It must be one of those mystery parts that just magically appear on the car. When I was redoing AOS seals and other stuff on the intake side, I replated that part and several other bolts, nuts, etc. to provide some bling.
The following users liked this post:
Apex (06-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Heat shield question