Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Need some help 92 cab wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 01:29 PM
gsx9522r
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need some help 92 cab wont start.

A little history first. Purchased a running 92 cab in July of 21. I then began catch up maintence and with life and ordering parts took a long time to complete. I have replaced front seals, rollers, races, belts, water pump and radiator hoses, cam shaft chain and tensioners, spark plugs and wires, rotor and cap. I also had to splice in a new connector for cam shaft positioning sensor. Once all this was completed the car would not start. It appeared as if no fuel was going to the engine. I check and replaced fuel strainer fuel pump and fuel filter. I also found the line from strainer to pump was badly deteriorated to the point it was like melted rubber. This was also replaced. Car still does not start. I have also tried a new DME relay from uro i have 3 total orginal and 2 new but only tired 1 of the new ones so far. I will be checking to see if any fuel in the the main supply line to the fuel rail in a bit and report back. Currently it still seems like im not getting fuel. I will check spark after checking the lines this evening to make sure. Also yes all old fuel was drained and 3 to 4 gallons of new fuel added.

Any help would be great and ill report spark and fuel findings this evening. Also the tach jumps when trying to start goes up to about 700rpms but noticed it also build up to over 2k when trying to start which does seem odd.
The following users liked this post:
Yogii (04-09-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 11:22 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 138 Posts

Try the jumpering of fuel pump to test the fuel pump noted at Clarks Gargage Site http://www.clarks-garage.com/
Old 04-11-2023, 12:21 AM
gsx9522r
Intermediate

Thanks I picked up some connectors today to make the jumper and will test tomorrow. I was able to check spark today and I do have spark. Also checked the plugs and none smelled or looked like they have seen any gas. I also noticed that the idle speed adjuster right under the throttle body is making a humming noise and I can feel it making a constant vibration with the ignition switch on. Not sure what this means. I will also check the harness that the fuel pump connects to to make sure i plugged it in all the way pretty sure this is not the problem but just want to make sure. One last thing when attempting to start today the tach did not move.
Old 04-11-2023, 06:10 PM
gsx9522r
Intermediate

Ok so I tested 2 DME relays according to clarks garage and they both seemed fine. I plugged in the jumper and fuel pump did not activate but the buzzing and vibrating from the idle control valve did. Is this normal? Im wondering if i am not getting enough voltage to the relay. I will test the voltage at the DME relay plug now.
Old 04-11-2023, 06:31 PM
gsx9522r
Intermediate

12v confirmed at jumper 30 and the battery. Rear ground looks good and clean. Will check power at the pump tonight. Still not sure why idle control valve is buzzing and when jumping DME relay.
Old 04-11-2023, 11:42 PM
gsx9522r
Intermediate

Well I rechecked the fuel pump harness and it was not pushed in all the. She started uo for the first time in almost 2 years!!! Now for new tires and top! Im sure ill be back on with more questions
Old 04-12-2023, 07:27 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

Glad you got the gremlins! Not the other way round....

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
The following users liked this post:
gsx9522r (04-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Need some help 92 cab wont start.