Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

My first time 968 ownership journey

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 07:14 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 136 Posts

Have you considered changing out the Tiptronic ECU. They are cheap as they dont seem to fail much but from a simplistic way a good place to start perhaps before diving into the pulling of valve bodies. The Tiptronic ECU is in the back hatch area on the passengers side behind the wheel well and side carpet. These cars also suffer a number of electrical gremlins surrounding bad grounds. Maybe also check the grounds in that area on the car as well. If you wanted to go this route to check the ECU I have a couple of them and would be happy to lend you one for testing if you pay the shipping each way. If so send me a PM with your address etc.. Probably $10-15 shipping unless you want 2 day service or something. Good luck with your troubleshooting.
Old 05-01-2023, 06:42 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by jsheiry
Have you considered changing out the Tiptronic ECU. They are cheap as they dont seem to fail much but from a simplistic way a good place to start perhaps before diving into the pulling of valve bodies. The Tiptronic ECU is in the back hatch area on the passengers side behind the wheel well and side carpet. These cars also suffer a number of electrical gremlins surrounding bad grounds. Maybe also check the grounds in that area on the car as well. If you wanted to go this route to check the ECU I have a couple of them and would be happy to lend you one for testing if you pay the shipping each way. If so send me a PM with your address etc.. Probably $10-15 shipping unless you want 2 day service or something. Good luck with your troubleshooting.
Thanks for the offer.
Will PM you.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:08 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Update 13 May 24.
I had to put the project on hold for several months as I worked thru some health issues.
On Saturday the 11th, a friend who is well versed in transaxle cars spent 5 hours with me as we R&R'd the old transaxle and installed the "new / used" transaxle.
With his help, the process went smoothly (having a lift and a lift table did not hurt).
The trans is now filled with fluid and seems to work.
I'll install the axles and take it for a test drive later this week.
Yes, I'm R&Ring the fuel filter also and fixing a torn CV boot

Old 05-14-2024, 02:20 AM
dlearl476
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

Stupid question but transmission problems following a 6 hr high speed drive makes me wonder if 10-15 year old transmission fluid couldn’t be the problem? I have a buddy who made a career out of buying 99-2010 Mercedes with “transmission problems” and solving them by replacing the Autozone crap with OEM MB fluid. Benz’s are notorious for this issue, but it’s made me a believer of a complete fluid change on every vehicle I ever buy. Brakes, coolant, PSU, oil.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:59 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dlearl476
Stupid question but transmission problems following a 6 hr high speed drive makes me wonder if 10-15 year old transmission fluid couldn’t be the problem? I have a buddy who made a career out of buying 99-2010 Mercedes with “transmission problems” and solving them by replacing the Autozone crap with OEM MB fluid. Benz’s are notorious for this issue, but it’s made me a believer of a complete fluid change on every vehicle I ever buy. Brakes, coolant, PSU, oil.
That was NOT the cause / fix in my case.
As I dug thru service records, the PO had tried this route at least 2X before listing on BaT.
Cheers
Old 05-14-2024, 12:50 PM
regajohn
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
I won't go into detail, but after discussion with the seller and BaT, we agreed on a satisfactory resolution to the transmission issue.
I will say that BaT far exceeded my expectations and I give them Kudo's for EXCELLENT customer service.
I’ve never had to deal with an issue regarding a purchase at BAT, but my understanding is they are very accommodating if/when the seller misrepresents the car (purposely or maybe accidentally). Glad you were able to get some satisfaction.

I hope you get all the issues worked out, they are fantastic cars.
Old 05-20-2024, 06:48 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Initial testing is positive.
the trans selects all 4 speeds now, both automatically and in tippy mode.
I still need to take it for a longer drive, but I'm hopeful.

Connecting trans cooler lines = NOT FUN!

Connecting trans cooler lines = NOT FUN!
The following 3 users liked this post by cgfen:
bbain (06-19-2024), dlearl476 (06-20-2024), J1NX3D (05-20-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 02:23 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

I've been a busy boy.
~ 2 weeks ago I had a "catastrophic" coolant failure (while I was at the gas station fueling and celebrating the transaxle swap success).
It turned out to be a heater disc valve that basically failed at the adhesive joint.
While I was in there I:
  • Installed a new Cam Position Sensor and mating 3 pin connector to resolve the crumbled to dust 3 pin connector at the distal end of the CPS harness.
  • I installed a new knock sensor #1.
  • I took the cam / valve cover off to ease access to the CPS, so I installed a "valve cover gasket set deluxe" https://944online.com/valve-cover-ga...et-968-deluxe/ from 944 online to brighten up the cam cover washers. I also bought a few new fasteners to replace the ones that I struggled to remove due to fastener head rounding.
  • I also inspected the cam lobes, valve springs and cam chain tensioner pads to ensure nothing obvious was wrong.
  • Maybe most importantly I confirmed that the balance shafts were correctly timed. The PO had R&R'd all associated hardware ~ 2500 miles ago, but my local transaxle guru felt that they were not timed correctly (he noted a vibration @ 3500 RPM.). Good thing I checked. Timing was not correct. I'll try to add an image below. I followed the info from the WSM and this site https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=38866 to time the pulleys. Initially it was daunting, then as I dug into it, rather easy.
  • I installed new balance belt pulley fasteners ($2.00 each) since the previous "mechanic" had rounded the edges.
  • I changed the Oil and Filter since the filter was so easy to access.
  • I installed a new Porsche upper radiator hose. The PO had cheaped out and installed a piece of crap URO hose that rubbed the alternator pulley.
  • I installed new Porsche hoses on either side of the failed disc valve.

I stopped there, since I want to drive the car and further test the transaxle.

Here is a drawing of original balance shaft timing. I ended up rotating the lover shaft ~ 110 degrees CW to enable the timing mark on the pulley to align with the timing mark on the cover.

Before I adjusted the timing

Last edited by cgfen; 06-19-2024 at 02:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bbain (06-19-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 01:22 PM
Bkaplan
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful!
Old 06-21-2024, 07:08 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

WOW.............. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
Since i did the work outlined above i've driven the car ~ 85 miles.
The good news?
  • The new / old transmission works as expected, shifts through 4 speeds as expected in auto mode and I can command shifts as expected in Tippy Mode.
  • The engine runs so much more smoothly since the balance shafts are timed correctly
  • I feel noticeably more torque (butt dyno) since sorting out the cam position sensor wiring.
  • No more sporadic Check Engine Light

The bad news?
  • Nothing
I'll continue making it better as I drive it more.

Craig
Old 06-21-2024, 08:54 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Not sure about the Tippy, but the manual is very torquey. I understand 80% available at 2K rpm.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 07-08-2024, 06:18 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Default Rookie Mistake

I made a Rookie Mistake when after timing the balance shafts when I installed the power steering and AC / ALT belt.
When re-installed they shrieked at every cold startup.
I re-checked belt tension and all seemed well.
I did a bit of reading and realized I had not "taken note of original rotational direction" when removing the belts.
I have no idea if I re-installed correctly of incorrectly as compared with original rotational direction.
so
I installed new belts and now all is quiet as it should be.
Cost me $45 and 90 minutes.
Old 07-08-2024, 06:25 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Default removed faded / yellowed paint protection behind the front wheels

I took advantage of the hot sunny weather and removed the faded / yellowed paint protection film behind the front wheels.
I let the car sit in the sun and 90 degree heat for an hour.
Both strips came of in < 2 minutes, passenger side in 3 pieces, drivers side in 4 pieces.
Back to the shade and let the car cool so I could remove adhesive residue with this.
Very easey peasey when working with hot / pliable vinyl

Old 07-08-2024, 07:52 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
I took advantage of the hot sunny weather and removed the faded / yellowed paint protection film behind the front wheels.
I let the car sit in the sun and 90 degree heat for an hour.
Both strips came of in < 2 minutes, passenger side in 3 pieces, drivers side in 4 pieces.
Back to the shade and let the car cool so I could remove adhesive residue with this.
Very easey peasey when working with hot / pliable vinyl

No paint came off when you removed the adhesive residue?
Those adhesive protection pieces only last a few years.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 07-09-2024, 12:40 PM
Bkaplan
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is awesome, I have those on both my vehicles, saving this for later.

Quick Reply: My first time 968 ownership journey