968 Forum 1992-1995

PS fluid leak mystery..

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 12:17 AM
Motosport
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Default PS fluid leak mystery..

I think I need to tap into the combined 968 wisdom on this one..

I recently renovated my PS pump as the rib belt broke and parts of it got stuck around the PS pulley and ruptured the pulley seal causing all the PS fluid to leak out immediately. Before that the entire PS system was complete tight with no leaks whatsoever. After installing the renovated PS pump, filling up with fresh Castrol ATF fluid and venting the system, the PS felt great with an improved feel and smoother action than previous.

The car was sitting for 6 weeks as we were away on holidays and after coming back from a short drive I noticed a small puddle of red PS fluid in the floor. Got the car in the air to inspect and found what you see in the pics below. The PS pump was dry and clean, and the same for the both hoses. I double checked everything, tightened the hose clamps on the reservoir just to be sure and wiped everything off with brake cleaner. Let the car sit for a couple of days and checked again. PS pump, pulley, hoses and surrounding areas still looked clean and dry, but drops of PS fluid visibly still coming out from the drain hole in the floorpan further back. Its only a few drops but I am struggling to understand how the PS fluid can find its way back there? Even it there was a visible leak from the reservoir, hoses or pump, I still can't see how the fluid would make its way into the floorpan cavity and as everything PS related is a good 25 inches further ahead??

Any suggestions on this would be much appreciated..

Old 08-21-2022, 04:55 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

We have been seeing this very thing for 25 odd years + , be it 944 (R/H/D 85> ) / 944s / 944S2 / 951 / 968 etc , basically the oil hoses to and from the power steering reservoir ( in old age ) weep power steering oil onto the chassis / frame rail directly underneath it and from there the oil will slowly seep under the formed alloy heat shielding on the rail and it just keeps going back and then seeps into the area that you can see under the car ( all very basic stuff ) and with some new hoses and a bit of cleaning the issue will go away
Regards
Bruce & Sean Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive
The following users liked this post:
LM964 (08-23-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 06:38 AM
Motosport
Racer

Thanks a lot for the advice that makes perfect sense and the only logical answer, even though the hoses and frame below seems dry. I have ordered a new suction hose which will hopefully fix the issue, and if not I will replace the return line and cooling loop too.
Next time I am heading up to Sydney I will bring Minty for a midlife health check in your highly recommended shop..

Regards, Alex
Old 08-23-2022, 10:38 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Motosport
Thanks a lot for the advice that makes perfect sense and the only logical answer, even though the hoses and frame below seems dry. I have ordered a new suction hose which will hopefully fix the issue, and if not I will replace the return line and cooling loop too.
Next time I am heading up to Sydney I will bring Minty for a midlife health check in your highly recommended shop..

Regards, Alex
Thanks! Might explain my own (non-urgent) small leak from around the reservoir somewhere.
Old 08-27-2022, 01:15 PM
oppositelock
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The exhaust manifold cooks the two rubber hoses and they loose their pliability and ability to seal against the plastic fluid tank. After dealing with these frustrating leaks and changing tanks and hoses, I made a final solution. I can look up fitting numbers and hose sizes if interested, I don't remember off the top of my head.

Fitting silver soldered onto cooling loop

Old 08-29-2022, 12:34 AM
Motosport
Racer

Now there is a proper engineered solution.. I like it..

Originally Posted by oppositelock
The exhaust manifold cooks the two rubber hoses and they loose their pliability and ability to seal against the plastic fluid tank. After dealing with these frustrating leaks and changing tanks and hoses, I made a final solution. I can look up fitting numbers and hose sizes if interested, I don't remember off the top of my head.

Fitting silver soldered onto cooling loop

Quick Reply: PS fluid leak mystery..