Stereo advice (speaker wiring)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 11:55 PM
CPL55
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Stereo advice (speaker wiring)?

Hi all,

So my '95 968 coupe's CR1 doesn't work (turns on but no sound, was that way when I bought the car). I'm trying to keep this car visibly original, so I'm not going for an audiophile system here—no subwoofers or amps, just want to do a slight speaker and head unit update to have a working system, as well as bluetooth. I'm not a car stereo expert, but with good directions I've done more elaborate installs with amps and subs in the past, but those were on more recent cars, so there were plenty of harnesses/adapters that made it simple. But the 968 has me a little stumped... appreciate if anyone can provide some help/direction!

I'm going to install the Blaupunkt SQR 46, and today I started to install front components (Polk 5.25", per @bbain 's long-ago thread). I have a harness from Crutchfield that I think will work, so that's not a concern right now.

The main challenge I'm running into is how to wire the speakers. I'm just focused on the front components for now. Got them mounted, but not sure how to connect them. The factory speaker wiring with the connector in the door panel would be my first choice, for simplicity's sake. But I've got this crossover now (connected to tweeters and door speakers, and now I have a + and - wire running from it that need to connect to the head unit. What's the simplest/easiest way to do it?

Thanks so much, as always I appreciate any help!

Last edited by CPL55; 07-17-2022 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:40 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

What speakers for the rear are you considering?

-Yogii
Old 07-17-2022, 12:56 AM
CPL55
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 24 Posts

@Yogii , I'm just going to keep the rears simple—Polk 4 x 6 when I do it.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:17 AM
bbain
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi @CPL55 , just a quick heads-up, Polk was sold years ago (after I did my install) to DEI Holdings (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEI_Holdings), which also owns several other audio companies. IMO, and others, the quality of Polk has declined since the acquisition.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:08 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CPL55
Hi all,

So my '95 968 coupe's CR1 doesn't work (turns on but no sound, was that way when I bought the car). I'm trying to keep this car visibly original, so I'm not going for an audiophile system here—no subwoofers or amps, just want to do a slight speaker and head unit update to have a working system, as well as bluetooth. I'm not a car stereo expert, but with good directions I've done more elaborate installs with amps and subs in the past, but those were on more recent cars, so there were plenty of harnesses/adapters that made it simple. But the 968 has me a little stumped... appreciate if anyone can provide some help/direction!

I'm going to install the Blaupunkt SQR 46, and today I started to install front components (Polk 5.25", per @bbain 's long-ago thread). I have a harness from Crutchfield that I think will work, so that's not a concern right now.

The main challenge I'm running into is how to wire the speakers. I'm just focused on the front components for now. Got them mounted, but not sure how to connect them. The factory speaker wiring with the connector in the door panel would be my first choice, for simplicity's sake. But I've got this crossover now (connected to tweeters and door speakers, and now I have a + and - wire running from it that need to connect to the head unit. What's the simplest/easiest way to do it?

Thanks so much, as always I appreciate any help!
The proper solution, also the expensive solution, is the Porsche Classic Communication Management head unit,

https://www.porsche.com/internationa...ghlights/pccm/

As for speakers, Crutchfield has a zillion choices of 4x6" for the rears and 5 1/4" for the doors. If you had the Hi-Fi system with component mids and tweets in the door they have you covered as well. You will not have any bass to speak of without adding a small 8" sub to one of the rear cubbies.

KLA industries has you covered there with an excellent box that fits perfectly with no cutting and it's easily removeable.

https://www.klaindustries.net/produc...dden-subwoofer

Cheers
Mikey

The following users liked this post:
JimmyB (10-10-2022)

Quick Reply: Stereo advice (speaker wiring)?