968 Forum 1992-1995

More questions of the board

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 12:01 AM
oz968
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Default More questions of the board

Where the manual shifter goes in to the floor pan it looks like a sorta square opening with a pronounced lip for the inner gaiter boot to go over and the auto has a bolt in arrangement which looks considerably larger. Is the manual opening a bolt in section to achieve the opening or part of the body...in essence saying that an auto body is different to the manual body due to the shifter opening in the trans tunnel.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:40 AM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Both a manual chassis 968 and a triptonic chassis 968 have the exact same features in regards to central tunnel and the shifter cutout which is kind of oval with a rolled lip for the rubber inner gator to slip onto and seal up the interior of car on the manuals and the autos have a kind of bolted up steel large retainer to hold down rubber bellows or inner gator

there has been dozens of conversions documented on forums and I have done two to turn a triptonic into a manual car its very straight forward

Last edited by boost feen; 02-21-2022 at 07:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jay Wellwood (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 07:23 PM
oz968
Racer

Originally Posted by boost feen
Both a manual chassis 968 and a triptonic chassis 968 have the exact same features in regards to central tunnel and the shifter cutout which is kind of oval with a rolled lip for the rubber inner gator to slip onto and seal up the interior of car on the manuals and the autos have a kind of bolted up steel large retainer to hold down rubber bellows or inner gator

there has been dozens of conversions documented on forums and I have done two to turn a triptonic into a manual car its very straight forward
I have trawled Google in search of such a thread and seriously ...narda was the result..... really.!!!
Can you direct me as I have a million questions around inhibitor switch, trans ECU wiring, dash display and on and on
A link to a thread would be invaluable
Peter
Old 02-22-2022, 11:41 PM
oz968
Racer

Just asking Boost...does this pic look different to the cut out with rolled lip you refer to.
Its looks like a tippy opening with a frame to hold boot down as it is much larger than the opening for a factory manual shifter.
It doesnt make sense as the Tip shifter and drop in is huge and the floor pan with tunnel just wouldnt be the same across bot manual and auto cars.....or am I barking up the wrong tree.
Attached are pics can you clarify
Peter

Old 02-23-2022, 12:16 AM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Well I know that the bolt down rectangular ring holds the inner boot on and works well for both triptonic and manual cars. I’m not sure what your asking here but it sounds like your trying to pinpoint that the manual cars and trippy 968’s don’t have the same inner oval lip and that sounds right it’s been 10 years since I did my second conversion and I’ve never parted a triptonic car only manuals so you got me there.

I know there was a great write up that G96 did on this conversion I looked for it yesterday and it looks like the webpage it’s on no longer works sorry.

there is only one wire you need to mess with in regards to engine wiring harness changes the rest of the mod is fairly straight forward if you have all the right bits. Good luck you will be happy you did the manual swap

I did one of my swaps with a S2 TT and transaxle and half shafts and shifter parts
the second swap was with a hodge podge of parts
a 6 speed, shifter mechanism and axles
951 TT bell housing and clutch parts
968 clutch pedal parts and the matching master for the plastic clutch pedal which has the 1991 and later master cylinder
only thing you can keep with the 944 flywheel stuff is the 968 trip starter
Old 02-23-2022, 01:15 AM
oz968
Racer

Well I know that the bolt down rectangular ring holds the inner boot on and works well for both triptonic and manual cars. I’m not sure what your asking here but it sounds like your trying to pinpoint that the manual cars and trippy 968’s don’t have the same inner oval lip and that sounds right it’s been 10 years since I did my second conversion and I’ve never parted a triptonic car only manuals so you got me there.

I know there was a great write up that G96 did on this conversion I looked for it yesterday and it looks like the webpage it’s on no longer works sorry.

there is only one wire you need to mess with in regards to engine wiring harness changes the rest of the mod is fairly straight forward if you have all the right bits. Good luck you will be happy you did the manual swap

I did one of my swaps with a S2 TT and transaxle and half shafts and shifter parts
the second swap was with a hodge podge of parts
a 6 speed, shifter mechanism and axles
951 TT bell housing and clutch parts
968 clutch pedal parts and the matching master for the plastic clutch pedal which has the 1991 and later master cylinder
only thing you can keep with the 944 flywheel stuff is the 968 trip starter
Is that one wire the Inhibitor (neutral) switch
Old 02-23-2022, 10:11 AM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Yes I believe so the park/neutral switch comes off that triptonic shifter and allows power from key to starter so the manual cars and triptonic cars differ slightly there under dashboard. It’s a very large 4.0 gauge wire so easy to find that goes to the red&bluw wire two pin starter plug on firewall in engine compartment then down to starter. Trace this back and you have to make the connection like on a manual car that goes to the key ignition switch only

like I said earlier I wish I could help more and have a detailed step bye step but I never did that and it’s been so long I have no pictures or much notes on it just fuzzy memories and wiring diagram with post it note ha
Old 02-23-2022, 10:15 AM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

I did remember the wiring part being very easy like there was a plug under dash that came off the keyed ignition and it just simply wasn’t plugged into anything on that pin from factory so I made the connection from the large wire from triptonic shifter switch and it’s that easy but please let us know

Old 02-23-2022, 07:30 PM
oz968
Racer

Thanks Boost.....I will fumble my way through this one as well.....!!
Old 02-24-2022, 03:16 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

I actually have one of these boots new-unused if you want to buy it. There was a subtle changes from 944 to 968 so this doesn't fit my 944 with 968 6-spd fitted. Let me know if you want it.

Quick Reply: More questions of the board