968 Forum 1992-1995

Kee cab top

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 07:35 PM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Kee cab top

I'm due to replace my 200k mile cabriolet top soon. Has anyone had experience with Kee brand tops? Have other brands/experiences?
Old 01-31-2022, 10:04 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyeman
I'm due to replace my 200k mile cabriolet top soon. Has anyone had experience with Kee brand tops? Have other brands/experiences?
When I did this research years ago tops and materials were like buying mattresses....the names are obscured to facilitate the fact that all the material is made by one manufacturer. Top suppliers at times use their own pet names to obscure this fact.

GAHH is a company who takes fabric from Haartz and with their own home made pattern cuts out the top to have OEM like fit

GAT is the same but use their own home made copy/pattern

Believe Robbins is the same and suspect Kee the same as well.

Tops online sells GAHH tops as far as I can tell

GAHH sells to many upholstery shops and they price protect their stuff so you cant buy at the same price their shops buy the top. I have found that GAHH has a better fitting top IMHO than GAT. The GAT top needed to be stretched quite a bit more and my upholstery shop complained loudly and showed me the difference in size on the original top vs the one purchased from GAT.

Haartz actually makes all the top materials for all these companies who do their best to produce a pattern to sell an OEM fit top. Check www.haartz.com and you will find all the names you have seen in your search in this madness. One of the reps at Haartz indicated to me that the Twilfast material was the same as what all these companies call German....and that one is produced here in the US and one comes from their factory in Europe/Germany. Read about Twilfast, Stayfast, Twilfast II, 3, 4 etc....etc.... Then when you call and talk to GAT, GAHH, et al they stumble and mutter when you know about Haartz and the actual material names and then you get to the reality that you either get Stayfast cheaper not as thick, or Twilfast with lots of names including "German" which have similar build, layers and thickness. Every guy who owns a Porsche wants "German" because its more expensive and "has" to be better. NO. Ask for a rep at Haartz to walk you down this path, they dont like to do it and its like pulling teeth to lift the veil on this industry.

The other variable seems to be the size of the rear window. I ignorantly figured this was a specific size for this car but clearly this is wide open for the aftermarket companies who sew these tops which window they choose and perhaps the quality of the materials. The GAHH windows seems a bit bigger in my Iris Cab than the GAT window in my Polar cab?? Have not strictly measured and documented but clearly different size. Flash, former proprietor of the 968 Forums site and all things 968 also spoke about getting his shop to make his window zippered so that it could be dropped even with top up. I could not get any love on this front from my shops or top suppliers. The hand crafted nature of all things upholstery is a dying breed in the major cities so if you find a good one treat them nice.

In the end I think your better to buy your GAHH top from your upholstery guy and let him make a little markup on it and then let him OWN the problems as this is not an easy install. Pays 12 hours book rate to people who know what they are doing and have the specialty tools and glue. When I provided the tops in the past to satisfy my general cheapness I felt like I OWNED all the problems.

I just got a different cab back a few weeks ago from a local shop (different than first one) and they did an OK job but the devil is in the details on these tops and there is MUCH custom fitting, stretching, adding, deleting and dealing with old rubber, plastic bits, stripped screws, etc...etc...

Good luck with your search.

Last edited by jsheiry; 01-31-2022 at 10:08 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by jsheiry:
944Fest (aka Dan P) (02-24-2023), Jay Wellwood (02-07-2023), regajohn (02-06-2023), royalschwarz (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 08:04 PM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Smart, thanks. My mechanic has an employee was previously a cab top installer, and my paint shop said they could do it too. So I have a couple of less pros that hopefully could give me a less pro bill. If not I'll do what you said, let the upholsterer do it all.
Old 02-06-2023, 03:50 PM
pikashow
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm New due to replace my 200k mile cabriolet top soon. Has anyone had experience with Kee brand tops? Have other brands/experiences? pikashow
Old 02-06-2023, 03:50 PM
pikashow
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smart, thanks. My mechanic has an employee was previously a cab top installer, and my paint shop said they could do it too. So I have a couple of less pros that hopefully could give me a less pro bill. If not I'll do what you said, let the upholsterer do it all....
Old 02-14-2023, 05:58 PM
Breakaway944
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Smart, thanks. My mechanic has an employee was previously a cab top installer, and my paint shop said they could do it too. So I have a couple of less pros that hopefully could give me a less pro bill. If not I'll do what you said, let the upholsterer do it all.
Make sure they have experience with 944/968 tops. I have done tops on a LaBaron and an Eclipse, both were easy. I did the top on the 944 and it was NOT easy. It is overly complicated like everything else on these cars.

Quick Reply: Kee cab top