94 No start

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 08:02 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 94 No start

Hi All,
I have a 94 968 that has reliably started and drove fine, since new. i have a tender on it during storage. This time i tried to start it and it cranks over fine and appears to have one cylinder firing but it wont start.. I pulled spark plugs, and they seem fine. I want to replace them but can't find where to buy them

They are Bosch Super WR7DTC three electrode plugs. I went to usual vendors for them and nothing, only single electrode ones.
I am a loss as to what to do, as In don't want it towed to a Mechanic, any ideas??

THANKS IN ADVANCE, ROB
Old 11-22-2021, 10:10 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 267 Posts

Very unlikely the no start is related to the plugs, I would start with a fuel pressure test for that.
The correct original plugs (which are nla) are conventional single ground conductor. I believe WR7 DC+ is the recommended replacement.

Old 11-22-2021, 12:42 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gage
Very unlikely the no start is related to the plugs, I would start with a fuel pressure test for that.
The correct original plugs (which are nla) are conventional single ground conductor. I believe WR7 DC+ is the recommended replacement.

Thanks very Much!! I doubt plugs have to do with it as well.. 1st step in restoration:-)
Old 11-22-2021, 03:09 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweeper
1st step in restoration:-)
Nice... you have to start somewhere.
I think we're neighbors in Ma. PM me If the car is here and you need help.

Old 11-23-2021, 07:22 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Gage;17801200]Nice... you have to start somewhere.
I think we're neighbors in Ma. PM me If the car is here and you need help.

[/QUOTEThe car and I are in south Florida thanks very much for the offer.. It is time for a comprehensive restoration.. i may have it trucked to MA this spring..
Old 11-29-2021, 10:17 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Started to debug No start problem. it isn't spark based, probably fuel.. I want to test fuel rail pressure, then i read you need a bosch Jetronic tester. Is this true?? For you experts:-)
Old 11-29-2021, 12:09 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 641 Likes on 478 Posts

If you look at this picture: https://944online.com/968-fuel-rail-diagram.html you connect your fuel pressure gauge to the port at #7. No Jetronic tester needed, so far as I know. I believe it's an M12x1.5 thread connection, globe seal. From what I understand, most universal testers have a suitable adapter.

Good luck
Old 11-29-2021, 06:01 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

read the codes first then check the resistance of the reference and speed sensors.

aircooled dot net on the plugs.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:52 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

It's going into the shop Friday, it should be pretty easy to fix once you have the tools and manuals..we'll see
Old 11-30-2021, 01:54 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweeper
Started to debug No start problem. it isn't spark based, probably fuel.. I want to test fuel rail pressure, then i read you need a bosch Jetronic tester. Is this true?? For you experts:-)
Then spray carb cleaner into the intake, i.e. the air filter. If it runs for a few seconds, it's a fuel problem.

Then:
1. Check the fuel pressure.
2. Get a noid light to check that the injectors are triggering.
3. Check for 12V on the injectors.
http://www.systemsc.com/

Old 11-30-2021, 02:36 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by systemsc
Then spray carb cleaner into the intake, i.e. the air filter. If it runs for a few seconds, it's a fuel problem.

Then:
1. Check the fuel pressure.
2. Get a noid light to check that the injectors are triggering.
3. Check for 12V on the injectors.
Thanks very much for suggestions, i will try carb cleaner..
Old 11-30-2021, 05:17 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

http://www.durametric.com/porsche968faultcodes.aspx
Old 11-30-2021, 05:52 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 164 Posts

Sweeper,

Starting fluid straight into the cylinder or the MAF will be better than carb cleaner for fuel check. Other checks is see if you can hear the fuel pump coming on, could be relay, fuse, or just died. I have changed FPs in several of my 968s. If it comes on pressure would be next. Could also be a clogged fuel filter.

For spark, One way to check at each cylinder is with a timing light. If it flashes there is power going to that plug. (not to mention it's easy to do)

Just some thoughts, Cheers, Mike
Old 11-30-2021, 07:16 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by notthd
Sweeper,

Starting fluid straight into the cylinder or the MAF will be better than carb cleaner for fuel check. Other checks is see if you can hear the fuel pump coming on, could be relay, fuse, or just died. I have changed FPs in several of my 968s. If it comes on pressure would be next. Could also be a clogged fuel filter.

For spark, One way to check at each cylinder is with a timing light. If it flashes there is power going to that plug. (not to mention it's easy to do)

Not a good idea!
Old 12-01-2021, 07:35 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by notthd
Sweeper,

I read somewhere, that there is no fuel pump noise. I have no indication that the fuel pump is running, at all. This is why i was going to to fuel pressure measurement. I have spark, going to plugs, i am pretty sure.. Although i haven't used a timing light. I am a little worried about spraying Ether, or carb cleaner, as they are so flammable. but a little won't hurt it.. maybe a spray bottle with gas would determine it a fuel based problem

Quick Reply: 94 No start