968 Forum 1992-1995

power steering leak repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 09:31 AM
William Green
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gentlemen,

Not much to add to what has already been written about replacing the seals.

The only other thing I did was give the casing a damn good clean as it had years of dirt and gunge all over it. WD40 works wonders and it was returned to a lovely silver colour rather than the sticky black mess that originally lay on the kitchen table! Must say that wife was less than amused with the cleaning process being carried out in the kitchen You have been warned.

If any of the bolts are really stiff, again WD40 does the trick.

If you have taken the pump off I would recommend going the extra mile and replace the hose between the reservoir and the pump. Mine did show a bit of wear and tear and to be truthful I did not want to have to start fitting a piece of tubing at a later date.

I got the seal kit from KLA Industries and the only place I could source the tube was direct from an OPC. The cost for this was approx $55, shocking for a length of rubber but it is preformed to fit perfectly between the two components.

William
Old 03-14-2004, 05:19 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone wants a copy of the procedure for seal replacement let me know, I can email a 2 page scan which provides step by step instructions.

Mike
Old 01-29-2018, 12:06 PM
cayman2011
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 2011 Porsche Cayman, it developed a power steering leak at the front left of the car.
I had parked the car and the next day I discovered the leak. The car showed no previous signs of a problem before that.
I had the car towed to Porsche of West Broward, they said the power steering pump and the high pressure hose were bad.
Then quoted $3200 for the repair then said with a discount it would be $2900. Are they even in the ball park with this price?
Old 01-29-2018, 12:24 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Maybe check a Cayman forum?

Quick Reply: power steering leak repair