968 Forum 1992-1995

Short shift installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 09:54 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Short shift installed

While I was in London my mechanic installed the 944Racing short shift kit I bought through Eric S's group buy last year. (Thanks Eric). I've only put on about 30 miles, but I can report in that it does have a nicer, shorter throw. It seems a tad notchier, but nothing I can't live with. The 2 to 3rd change is now a tad different; I went into 5th once or twice-that seems different than before. All in all a minor improvement, at minor cost. (I don't think 944Racing is back on line selling parts; the owners has taken a hiatus to reorganize his staff). From the group buy the cost was under $100. and for many of you it would be a d.i.y. job. (Don't ask me how much my mechanic charged, I haven't talked to him yet. He's quite close, and just ambled over to my house and picked up and delivered the car). I'll know Monday what the install price was.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:10 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent! And, I thought I was the only one who hadn't gotten around to installing that short-shift kit. Did your mechanic also have to do a little shaving on the kit -- if I recall correctly, there initially was a clearance problem going into reverse.

BTW, it's looking more like 944racing.com is on a permanent hiatus -- they've been liquidating inventory on eBay and isn't looking like they're coming back up. Darn shame... I hate seeing good vendors going under.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I deliberately waited before the install to see if everything was a-ok with the kit-which was wise, as some people had an issue. I sent my kit back to 944 racing, and they turned it around within a week-great job by those guys. If they are indeed shutting down even more props should be sent their way for backing up the product. So to answer your question, Joseph, my wrench didn't have to modify anything. I know not everyone had a happy experience (John E), but mine was painless.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:23 PM
user 8430
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damian, I have been thinking about this kit as well.

Could you describe what gains/improvements/pros are realized from this kit, it would be appreciated!

Kevin
Old 03-06-2004, 10:30 PM
rwodabek
Racer

What about the vibration? I hear short shifts vibrate like crazy.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Ben Plaisted
Racer

Short shifters like SFR vibrate but the 944 racing one is a replacement linkage on the transmission so you keep the stock shift lever in the car. There is no vibration. I just installed the kit on my car and I love it. The throw is remarkably shorter the spacing between gears seems rather close together. The effort of shifting is a little harder but definetly worth it.

Quick Reply: Short shift installed