Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Sunroof frame adjustment screws?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 11:48 PM
dbonds
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Sunroof frame adjustment screws?

[semi-duplicate posting I made on 968forums - apologies in advance to anyone reading thru it again. Just want to see if anyone here has additional input]

My sunroof has opened unevenly since I bought the car. I'd thought the lifter arms were mis-indexed, but when trying to "reindex" the lifter arms, I found that with sunroof entirely removed, both lifter arms retract to the identical point in their tracks, so don't think the indexing of the lifter arms is the issue. A quick view of my open sunroof is shown below (with my Cayenne making a cameo in background) :

With the sunroof arms looking less likely to be root cause, I started inspecting the sunroof gasket to ensure it wasn't uneven - did some minor adjustments but looked good overall. While I was inspecting other areas around the sunroof, I did find something else I'd like to get anyone's thoughts on. There are 4 "Adjusting screw m 4x10" (part number 999.119.016.40) in the inner sunroof body trim area (towards each of the four corners) - shown as part 70 in diagram below). They tighten down into a separate piece (apparently known as a "Blind rivet nut m4" (part number 999.500.033.17) that goes into the headliner area (part 71 in diagram below and shown in second picture with green arrow) :

"Blind rivet nut" in headliner interior:

As I inspected each of these, I quickly realized 3 out of the 4 screws were broken (BOTH of the ones on right side of car, the same side that sunroof won't lower fully and raises higher), with more than half of the screw left in the "rivet nut". Only 1 was still whole/functional (front left)

Broken screw (1 of 3 that are broken) :

The one remaining "good" screw :

Anyone ever run into this? While i figure out how to replace these (have a few of the "rivets" on order, and even found a source for the NLA screws), does anyone know what they are intended to "adjust"? Best that I can tell, they'd just make the inner sunroof metal trim/liner tighten down a bit more into the body of the car. My hope is that both the screws being broken on the right is resulting in the inner sunroof metal trim/liner that the sunroof sits in being higher than the left and may be part of the cause for the uneven sunroof.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:40 PM
Karrera Coupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

After replacing my sunroof seal I have not opened my sun roof much. I guess I am concerned that it may not close again properly.
please us us know whether replacement of those three broken screws/bolts fixed the uneven opening.
Thanks
Old 03-01-2020, 11:17 PM
dbonds
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Karrera Coupe
After replacing my sunroof seal I have not opened my sun roof much. I guess I am concerned that it may not close again properly.
please us us know whether replacement of those three broken screws/bolts fixed the uneven opening.
Thanks
Still on my to-do list. I messed with the lifter arms and think I made things a bit worse. Will make another attempt at it next weekend, and hopefully tackle these screws as well. I do finally have all the parts (replacement screws are NLA, but think I found others that will fit at hardware store).

Quick Reply: Sunroof frame adjustment screws?