Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 01:43 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The DMF in my 94 968 came with balance weights from the factory.

Removing the DMF and trying to have it balanced required extra days and the purchase of extra tools. If it had not gone well and I had damaged one or more of those bolts it would have required even more days and might have been a significant expense to have a professional remove the bolts. There is no room to get in there and drill the heads off.

If the flywheel is smooth and there is no evidence of oil leakage I suggest it is left in place. The slight steel wool refinishing that was carried out on mine could have been performed while the flywheel was mounted.

This one clearly falls into the "aint broke, dont fix it" category.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:01 PM
flash968
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can certainly appreciate the reasoning behind what you chose to do - i t was safer for you if you aren't set up to do the whole job, and clearly it has worked out for you fine

on the presumption that you are re-using the same pressure plate (which i almost never do), balancing can efffectively be eliminated if your setup was balanced in the first place - if you change pressure plates though, all bets are off because they are balanced as a set

it also still leaves the rebound test and pilot issue unaddressed

this is like doing a "pad slap" on brakes and not turning the rotors or packing your bearings - may work, but not the best way to do it
Old 04-04-2005, 12:18 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are doing the work yourself and you find that not balancing the flywheel has caused some issue that you are unhappy with you can get back to the flywheel with a few hours work.

There is not much lost by leaving it alone.

If you break one of those bolts or ruin a dmf balancing it then much is lost!

Although if I was paying someone to do the work I would replace everything up to and probably including the DMF in the first go.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:56 AM
flash968
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fair enough

doing something twice is a personal pet peave of mine, so i think about my time a little differently - running a business has taught me to think and plan ahead, and to avoid doing things tiwce - also, i have the luxury of being able to leave the car on stand for a couple of days if something like that is the case, and i'm also set up pretty well to handle it - the extra cash outlay to me is less than the time doing it twice - that's a choice i make - like i said, doing it your way may work, but i'd kick myself if i had to get back in there - my whole point though was that while you may choose not to do it, and you are absolutely entitled, regardless of how i may approach it, it didn't make it bad advice

Quick Reply: Clutch slipping