Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Time for front brakes. Rotor/Pad options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 04:50 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
You can knock the rotor lips off with a grinder also if the rotors are otherwise still in spec.
There's at least a 1/8th inch lip.. I'm pretty sure they're out of spec.

Looks liek I've got a local friend who'll be helping with this. Plenty of experiences on his part. Suggests we should try re-packing and adjusting wheel bearing fit.

Right now, it looks like I may go with the Frozen Rotors and Hawk or Akebono. He's trying to talk me out of the slotted rotors though, he's has experience with both drilled and slotted rotors cracking.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:26 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod

Looks liek I've got a local friend who'll be helping with this. Plenty of experiences on his part. Suggests we should try re-packing and adjusting wheel bearing fit.

Right now, it looks like I may go with the Frozen Rotors and Hawk or Akebono. He's trying to talk me out of the slotted rotors though, he's has experience with both drilled and slotted rotors cracking.
I went with the slotted rotors. FWI-The oem front rotors are drilled.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 09-16-2019, 06:38 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod

Rotors should only warp/crack under extreme stress/heat, which would most likely be experienced in track (not street use).

Not saying it couldn't happen but, for street use, I doubt that it's a serious issue.

I've used drilled and slotted rotors on a lot of cars in my time strictly for street use and NONE of them ever warped or cracked, even though I can be very hard on the brakes in my cars.

Last edited by sgt1372; 09-16-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:49 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Same here. And drilled rotors just look cooler so....win!
Old 09-18-2019, 12:32 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Quick question, folks. The person who will be assisting has advised to replace the screws that hold the rotor in place due to possible rust, seizing, etc.

I'm assuming these are #5 in the image, 900 269 047 01?

We've got the rotors and pads ordered. Local dealer has quoted searings, vibration dampers, spacers, seal, pad sensors... and add these screws I guess? Any other parts that commonly need to or should be replaced?
Old 09-18-2019, 01:00 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Looks like you've got it. 600 grit is nice to polish the spindle where the seal rides. Mercedes uses/sells 100ml tubes of synthetic wheel bearing grease. Check but it should be 80 per.

I am not much for beating the grease cap on the hub as its pretty much the same as beating on the bearing. Any puller will work to push the cap back on.

Check the strut to see if it's loose on the internal races...ie knee action
Old 09-19-2019, 12:58 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

Check the hoses and caliper fittings. No weeping or cracked rubber! Possible replacement with SS brake lines?
Of course new fluid, complete bleed.

-Y
The following users liked this post:
WolfeMacleod (09-21-2019)

Quick Reply: Time for front brakes. Rotor/Pad options?