968 Forum 1992-1995

Not Starting - Help Me Narrow It Down

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 10:22 AM
shinrai
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jksymz75
Thinking about this, if I’m getting pressure at the rail, doesn’t that mean the FPR is working? I mean, isn’t that its job?

Leakdown test passed, too.
I’m pretty sure that when they fail they usually fail open meaning too much P to the injectors so the injectors can’t open. Some would electrically disconnect 1 injector to test (driving more current to the other 3) and try starting it.

Replace your FPR.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:56 PM
jksymz75
Instructor

Originally Posted by shinrai
I’m pretty sure that when they fail they usually fail open meaning too much P to the injectors so the injectors can’t open. Some would electrically disconnect 1 injector to test (driving more current to the other 3) and try starting it.

Replace your FPR.
Thanks for the info, shinrai, I pulled one the injectors and it did indeed start up. Ordering a new FPR now!
Old 08-07-2019, 10:15 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

They do not often fail such that the fuel pressure is stuck high but anything is possible. If it starts on 3/4 fuel, it's possible a bad temp sensor for the fuel injection is skewing the system pig rich.
FPRs common failure is to leak out the vacuum side which also causes plug fouling.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:30 PM
jksymz75
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
They do not often fail such that the fuel pressure is stuck high but anything is possible. If it starts on 3/4 fuel, it's possible a bad temp sensor for the fuel injection is skewing the system pig rich.
FPRs common failure is to leak out the vacuum side which also causes plug fouling.
So it wasn’t the FPR. Replaced with brand new, same problem - will turn over but not fire.

Is the temp sensor a logical next step?

Plug condition below.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:24 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...9.htm#dme-temp
Old 08-12-2019, 10:35 PM
oz968
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

So it wasn’t the FPR. Replaced with brand new, same problem - will turn over but not fire.

Is the temp sensor a logical next step?

Plug condition below.

My money was on the FPR ...I lost !!
Old 08-21-2019, 12:29 PM
jksymz75
Instructor

So this is interesting...

I used a noid tester to make sure all the injectors were getting signal - they were.

I replaced the new FPR with the old one since it seemed that wasn't the issue.

I thought I'd do a fuel pressure test cranking the car to see if I'd get a reading. Nothing.

Then I realized I hadn't fully tightened down the fuel pressure tester to the rail and it was leaking. Tried it again...AND IT STARTED RIGHT UP. Like nothing had ever happened. I don't get it.

Over the past few weeks, I've routinely just tried to start the car and it hasn't started. It had (sort of) started with one injector unplugged and also with starting fluid in the intake.

So what could've possible changed to allow it start now? I have since started it about 10 times and even driven it around the block and it's starting as normal.

Was something blocking something and shook loose? Once I drain more gas from the tank, I'm thinking to pull the strainer and see what condition its in. While I'm down there I'm going to replace the fuel filter.

Last edited by jksymz75; 08-21-2019 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-21-2019, 08:02 PM
oz968
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Possessed ???
Old 09-06-2019, 11:53 AM
jksymz75
Instructor

Originally Posted by oz968
Possessed ???
quite possibly.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:43 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have not seen a mention of testing or replacing the temp sensor. When I had this problem (on a Mustang) the sensor would fail intermittently and skew the system so rich it would not run. Sometimes it was normal for days.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:49 AM
jksymz75
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
I have not seen a mention of testing or replacing the temp sensor. When I had this problem (on a Mustang) the sensor would fail intermittently and skew the system so rich it would not run. Sometimes it was normal for days.
Thanks for mentioning this. After that glorious few hours where the car started, I went out of town and came back a couple of weeks later and it wouldn’t start again.

I was doing some research and came across this video which troubleshoots the reference sensor. Not sure if that’s the same as a temp sensor:

It is my next plan of attack.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:48 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

No the reference sensor senses TDC. The temp sensor senses temp. There is one for the gauge and one for the DME.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:08 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Thanks for mentioning this. After that glorious few hours where the car started, I went out of town and came back a couple of weeks later and it wouldn’t start again.

I was doing some research and came across this video which troubleshoots the reference sensor. Not sure if that’s the same as a temp sensor:

https://youtu.be/1WuZuPcVuqM

It is my next plan of attack.

I really like this guys videos!

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice

Quick Reply: Not Starting - Help Me Narrow It Down