Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Worn CV Joints 968

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 02:42 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

When installing axles I'll keep the boots off the joint and slid down towards the center of the axles so that I can get a socket and torque wrench on them (also using Stage 8 hardware).
It can be a challenge to slide the boots down and over the CV joint, then tighten the boot clamps but I prefer to insure i'm getting the proper torque on almost all of the nuts and bolts in the car.
Not sure how necessary this is, especially with the Stage 8 locking hardware but gives me additional piece of mind.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:28 PM
Karrera Coupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I need help please!
I am trying to remove the left rear axle from my car so that I can replace the cv joint boot on the transmission side. I have removed all the bolts on the wheel and on the transmission side but for the life of me I can't get the cv joint out of the back of the wheel hub nor can I get the cv joint separated from the transaxle. It is as if the shaft/axle is too long i.e. there does not seem to be enough clearance to pull the cv joints out of the respective recesses on the transaxle nor the back of the wheel hub.
I have even try to pry the CV joint out of the hub with a pry bar but are so far unable to get it out. I am concerned that I may cause damage in there with the pry bar.
Thanks in advance.
Alwyn
Old 02-18-2020, 02:57 PM
Karrera Coupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

After getting some telephonic advice from 944online that basically told me to just try harder - by putting a rubber mallet to the joint and jerking the axle towards and away from the wheel, it popped off on the transmission side. Now for the dirty part of the job!

Quick Reply: Worn CV Joints 968