Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Putting a Race car back together

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 11:42 PM
Isaacsracing
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Today was the culmination of getting the car back together. A PCA CVR DE day. Beautiful weather, good friends, and the 968 all back together. Vinyl numbers didn't arrive in the mail yet, but otherwise, she seemed ready. Of course, I had in the back of my mind that it wouldn't go well. Something must be amiss. After all, half of the car was apart. Maybe the alignment will feel terrible. Maybe the new shifter linkage will be too stiff and too hard to find gears.
I am so pleased. The day went spectacularly well. There were two issues: When I came in from the second session, the coolant (I run water and water wetter) was all over the pavement. I couldn't find a leak and it seemed to have come out the overflow hose. After it cooled, I put a half gallon of water in and she was fine the rest of the day. Second, the muffler's most rear hanger came loose, but that was an easy fix.
The car was fantastic. I was able to run laps below 1:03 which is as fast as I have ever been. The alignment was spot on - so predictable and so easy to point the car. Everything has come together beautifully and I have so many to thank. Constantine at Black Sea R&D for TT bearings, Bill Rader Motorsports for the transmission, Lindsey Racing and Elephant Racing for lots of parts, Speedsport Tuning for their free advice, Trackside Tim for great safety equipment, My friends Dave for expert welding, and Iain, Chris and Brett for all their hours and hours of help along the way. And you all who share your knowledge online and have shared with me great advise. I couldn't have done this without this community and I am so grateful. It has been excited to learn so much and there is still so much to learn.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:58 AM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats! Has to be really fulfilling. Lots of $$, sweat and tears. Enjoy.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:07 AM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Super indeed. Awesome that you had an almost perfect day, and may it be the first of many more (perhaps perfect days) this season. Look forward to crossing paths on track soon...
Old 05-19-2019, 01:47 PM
Constantine
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 132 Posts

Hi John,

Great news and congratulations!

I can understand the level of accomplishment you must feel after such a great first outing with your 968 racer.

Wishing you many more fun and trouble free track days.

Cheers.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:41 PM
rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where were you?

Quick Reply: Putting a Race car back together