968 Forum 1992-1995

968 headlight upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 08:42 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts
Default 968 headlight upgrade

I'm wondering what most 968 owners do for headlights? Any easy, cheap upgrades?
Not interested in redoing the front end like I have seen with 993 replacement headlamp buckets.

Thanks,

Yogii
AKA 968 Virgin
Old 09-06-2018, 03:15 PM
ryan@usaimage.com
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yogii, I think the 968 has really good headlight and better than some commentary systems due to their severe cut off. I have only heard of putting an off-road 80/100 watt bulb in for improvement.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:53 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree. And don't fall for expensive "upgraded" bulbs - totally bogus. I've tried them on some other cars, and they's no better than stock bulbs.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:03 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Switched out the sidelight bulbs for LED's and switched out the main bulbs for much more pricey Osrams. It did make a difference and are certainly much brighter then the standard ones. As Cloud9 mentions above I would avoid any cheap eBay alternatives which are often Chinese copies and potentially lower grade at best or hazardous at worse. My next thought is whether or not to switch out the lower fog light bulbs for something much better (LED's?) as these also act at flashers and as main beam (in the UK anyway - not sure about ROW).
Old 09-09-2018, 01:13 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LM964
Switched out the sidelight bulbs for LED's and switched out the main bulbs for much more pricey Osrams. It did make a difference and are certainly much brighter then the standard ones. As Cloud9 mentions above I would avoid any cheap eBay alternatives which are often Chinese copies and potentially lower grade at best or hazardous at worse. My next thought is whether or not to switch out the lower fog light bulbs for something much better (LED's?) as these also act at flashers and as main beam (in the UK anyway - not sure about ROW).
Really? You actually saw a difference? I tried Sylvania's much-hyped "upgraded" bulbs (can't remember what they were called - Silver Star, maybe) on my wife's 3-Series, and saw absolutely no improvement, and I think I tried one other time, but I don't remember the brand, and same result, so I concluded these "upgraded" bulbs are nothing but a scam.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:12 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Yup. After at least 8 years (in my use) merely replacing like for like - 8-year old bulb vs brand new - is going to be an improvemnt. However, after indeed trying a few other bulb makes, supposedly brighter, and ditching these, I ended up fitting the Osram cool blue intense first to the 964 and this was a definate improvement. No prompting needed for the 968. Lined up against the garage wall at night, one light with the new Osram, the other without, and for me I could see a definate improvement (away from the duller hue to something much brighter). For the 964 I'm now thinking of fitting CREE LED's next. Then again, neither car get used loads at night.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:01 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

this is from Monument Valley before recently sorting the bodywork and paint

including changing the color from Odurandina Blue (midway between Tahoe and Cobalt) to straight Tahoe Blue....

the 993 fixed headlamp style was in the planning stages in the early 90's -- but never reached production.

nevertheless, including being able to run the oem Xenon lamps, it is a sublime upgrade for the 968....

--

Last edited by odurandina; 09-12-2018 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:17 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Definitely prefer these ultimately. Not a cheap option though.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:31 PM
Kiltacular Jim
Track Day

Yeah, I'm pretty irked that me hitting a deer didn't didn't wait until next spring or something so I could drop the monies on components for the glorious fixed headlight conversion. Now its the bottom of the list since my front end will be like-new. Freakin' gorgeous, looks like a natural facelift that Porsche would have done in '96 or something, and OEM+ is my favorite way to do things.
Old 06-21-2023, 11:45 AM
DemoMan
7th Gear

Default 968 Headlight Esthetics -- any options beyond these?

I realize this is an ancient thread -- I'm just hoping someone may have an answer that I haven't found after hours of searching...

I have owned a couple 968s and after finishing an LS1 conversion on the latest one, I think it's a keeper.

The only visual aspect of the 968 that I wish I could change is the headlight lens. I'm fine with the frog light pop-up design, I just wish there was a bolt-in replacement headlight bulb with a more modern-looking clear lens. Whether it's an LED projector, an HID, Xenon, Halogen -- the actual lighting technology doesn't matter to me. I would just like to lose the dated "sealed beam diffraction lens" headlight lens in favor of something more modern looking.

The only options I've found for changing the headlight esthetics are:
http://www.sportwagen-zuerich.ch/con...s-porsche-968/ and
https://custom-concepts.nl/en/produc...-afdekkingset/

Does anyone know of another approach toward getting a more modern looking headlight/lens on the 968?

Thanks!
Dan
Old 06-21-2023, 01:38 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 475 Posts

I may get this totally wrong, as my 968 is currently very far away from me and I can't check. However, I believe that the 968 uses 8 inch housings, much like the later model 928. Over in 928 world, there is much gnashing of teeth about how to improve the 8 inch lighting. This is not exactly what you're asking, but what I'm saying is that over in that community, there has been no solution found that is similar to the options that can be found for 7 inch lenses. The best folks over there have come up with is to get H4 lenses, but that's the same kind of diffraction based lens that you're talking about, so not a solution for you. Full replacement 8 inch lenses are tough/impossible to find right now.

I guess what I'm trying to communicate is that I think there's not much out there but, if you can find something, you'd make a lot of people pretty happy.

Good luck
Old 06-21-2023, 10:17 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

There is a guy who posted recently on FB a picture of an adapted Harley LED light fitted within a modified 67 VW housing....see below (...please, wipe your chin...you're drooling!).

Old 06-22-2023, 12:22 AM
Ufnavy06
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Like another said, there might be some ability to use aftermarket lights from the 928. I've definitely seen them before but I've never been able to figure out where they got them.
Old 06-22-2023, 01:08 AM
dlearl476
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
There is a guy who posted recently on FB a picture of an adapted Harley LED light fitted within a modified 67 VW housing....see below (...please, wipe your chin...you're drooling!).

IMO, that doesn’t look any better than stock. To look “right” they need to have a bit of extra glass on the top to flatten the lens.

What I’d like to see is some enterprising young lad 3D print plastic headlight covers that can be painted body color. It’s a rare evening that I don’t make it home before I need anything more than the fog lights to light the way. If you could just pop them off if you needed headlights, that would be cool.
Old 06-22-2023, 01:37 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

Call me weird, but I like the 968 headlights.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice

Quick Reply: 968 headlight upgrade