968 Forum 1992-1995

Valuation of 968?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 05:51 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Valuation of 968?

So this project has been going on for a bit and there is a lot of good and some I am not happy about. May cut bait but may continue along. Essentially, I have a 94 968 with 61k miles. Clean Carfax with no accidents. Black exterior, tan interior. Best option is LSD and has a bunch of others. On the good side is I have spent a small fortune fixing everything mechanical on the car. Suspension, brakes, motor, anything that is under the hood has been gone through and if it needed to be fixed or replaced I did so. That's just the way I am.

The not so great is the hood, a spot on the fender and a spot on the driver's side door. The previous owner over-buffed the paint and it drives me nuts. The interior is very clean but definitely not concourse. It rides on ROH 18" 3 piece wheels that look great and cost $1k each but I don't have the stock wheels. Car is unmodified except it has Koni shocks up front and Bilsteins in the rear. The radio is aftermarket and while it works I would toss it.

I would say the car is a 7 and from 10 feet away it looks like a 9. With a little paint the exterior would be a 9. The interior looks great but there is some wear on the driver's seat and some minor fading here and there. With some love and a little work can be made into a 9.

I like the car a lot and would like to see what it's worth so I can decide if I should just sell it or continue.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:13 PM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I believe the challenge you're going to face is that with paint issues and other cosmetics the mechanical investments will get overlooked by someone looking for an original, sorted car. Similarly, project types might look for good body and paint and deal with replacing mechanicals and possibly some interior pieces like seats and carpets.

With a repaint in the future, that will further diminish value at not insignificant expense to a future owner. The aftermarket wheels only run things further down for someone seeking an original example.

Where I come out is that you are likely better off taking it across the line at this point and finishing the project as you'll be lucky to see 30-40 cents on the dollar for what you've put in. Probably not what you want to hear, but that's my honest opinion- take it or leave it.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:18 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I figured as much. I am just trying to see what I could get for it. The 968 market is not the most active and mine is not top tier so hard to figure it out. But it has a LSD!
Old 06-27-2018, 09:49 PM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd think with paint issues you'd be looking at ~$14-15k. Like Carsly said, fix the paint and I think you have a 22-25 car with the maintenance history. Some people aren't picky about wheels, but aftermarket wheels typically don't add any value to a car. If your car came originally with 16" wheels, I have a friend with a pristine set that he got refinished and never used. A set of 17" Cup 2 wheels would probably improve the value and visual appeal to an "originality" enthusiast, even if it's an early 94.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:50 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

My car came with 17" Cup 2 wheels so I would most likely source them. I guess it's off to the body shop and see the cost of paint. I had a PPI done but never saw the car and I have to believe the guy who sold me the car knew the place that did it. Car was not what they depicted and I most likely would not have bought it or would not have paid the price I did if I knew of the issues.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:51 PM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Sounds like a great car. Hagerty ratings would probably put your car as a #3. They list that value as $18,900. But I'm with Blau, sounds to me more like like you are describing a $14k car. Maybe a little more if you find someone that values all your work.

It sounds like the issue might be that a collector could see that he'd have a hard time getting your car to be a Hagerty #2. They list that value at $35k. Also the unusual colors generally are more craved by collectors.

As far as selling, sounds to me like you have already spent a lot on the car and you should just keep it. If 968 values keep increasing it might be worth it to try to improve it, but at this point you'd probably gain less than you'd spend (unless you find good deals, do the work yourself, etc).
Old 06-28-2018, 11:25 PM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear the car wasn't quite up to snuff. It happens, and a lot of times sellers don't even know the cars need things that they need. Same with paint condition. A few years ago I had paint that shined great and I thought looked great. After looking at way too many detailing groups on FB, all I see is all the flaws that need correcting on every car ��

Even if you're going to keep it a while, definitely worth getting the quote and possible repainting the panels needed, as it sounds like that's really something off-putting to you. Maybe doing that will make you like the car a lot more.

Personally, I don't think collectors are buying 60k mile 968s yet. The few and far between that are looking at them for investment or nostalgia are likely seeking sub-50k mile cars that won't really get driven and de-valued. The lower mileage the better.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:50 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

Bummer about the PPI. Maybe you should talk to the ones that did it. How did you pick the shop to do the PPI?

-Yogii
AKA 968 Virgin
Old 06-29-2018, 10:18 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

What I like about the car is usable performance. Brings me back to cars in my past that you could drive at nearly 10/10ths without getting into too much trouble. Everything else I own is great for a little while but then you have dumb it all down because they are just too fast. I think I am like TheBlau in that I usually buy pristine cars and keep them that way and this is my first driver so I just see the flaws. I really wanted a driver but I didn't expect it to need as much mechanical work nor was I prepared to do any paintwork. I may just paint the panels and be done with it for a while.

Funny thing is I was out last night and in the low light of a setting sun the car looked fantastic. A group of guys at the outdoor bar I went to were floored by the condition and they talked cars for the entire time I was there. They never noticed the spots that drive me nuts and thought it looked virtually new. Maybe I am the one who is nuts!
Old 06-29-2018, 11:30 AM
LTDzak
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do know they make black wax that hides many imperfections . . .
Old 06-29-2018, 01:46 PM
jblaw
Banned

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a set of Cup II's for sale in the classifieds if that helps -- although shipping would be a PAIN!
Old 06-29-2018, 02:02 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Shipping is the biggest PITA. I just sold a set of wheels and was very expensive. If you were local perhaps.

Quick Reply: Valuation of 968?