968 Forum 1992-1995

Started engine, heard a light pop, stopped, won't restart

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 09:17 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Started engine, heard a light pop, stopped, won't restart

I fired up my 92 968's engine tonight, and it started normally, and ran fine for a few seconds. There, I heard a faint "pop", like a small misfire, and the engine abruptly shut off, and I can't restart it. It cranks fine, but won't fire. Fearing the worst (a broken timing belt), I removed the TB cover, and both belts are perfect. Suspecting lack of spark, I removed spark plug No. 1, inserted it into its wire boot, touched the thread to an engine ground, and had my wife crank the engine. There is a perfect spark, so the coil and ECU can be ruled out.

Given how abruptly the engine died, it doesn't seem like a fuel delivery problem. In other words, it didn't sputter and start running rough as if it was starved for fuel - it just died. Also, it has a brand new Bosch fuel pump, which has demonstrated to work perfectly, at least the last time I drove it, which was a week ago. I haven't done a blink test yet, but I don't see anything in the list of sensors it tests that could explain the inability to start the engine. Any thoughts on what to check next? Thanks.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:45 PM
shelby987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be the DME chose that moment to die. As for fuel, a quick shot of starting fluid down the throttle will tell you if you have a lack of fuel issue, if it starts then dies, you have a fuel problem.
If it does start, I would put a guage on the fuel rail to confirm if you have any pressure at all, from there you can check for power to the pump.
A side question, with your wife turning the key to run, can you hear the pump cycle from under thecar?
Old 12-09-2017, 11:50 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I tried jumpering the DME relay's connections, which I had done successfully many times while troubleshooting my recent fuel leak, and nothing. So it looks like my new fuel pump may be bad. I'll call Paragon Monday morning. So that pop I heard may have been a red herring. Strange that a fuel delivery problem would cause the engine to die so suddenly, though.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:21 PM
LTCMontana
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 462 Likes on 237 Posts

flywheel sensor could have been nicked by flywheel. Spent days trying to troubleshoot a 944 after installing new one. new one was .5 mm larger and hit the flywheel. If snsor is bad, no fuel and no run.

Quick Reply: Started engine, heard a light pop, stopped, won't restart