968 Forum 1992-1995

Rear hatch defrost

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 05:06 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Rear hatch defrost

So the wire that leads to the driver's side strut for the rear defrost is severed, and the original connecting harness is long since gone. Someone Jerry-rigged it at some point, but not very well. I decided to replace the short harness, part #477971257B but ran into a little snag...

I expected the rest of the short harness to be behind the rubber grommet. Apparently it's not. Or if it is, I can't pull it out far enough. I wonder if someone had already done that and spliced on a craptastic connector.

The wire coming out the hole is a larger diameter than the short harness, so I suspect I'm missing the connector end, and the short harness should plug into it.

Question: If I remove interior trim pieces from the area, will there be access to that wire behind them? Even if I'm wrong and that IS the harness I'm seeing coming through the hole, it still catches on something when you try to pull it out....I thought it was catching on the rubber grommet, but nope...

Old 10-13-2017, 06:22 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The "short" harness you got is for the opposite end of the strut and connects to a spade connector on the glass and strut end. The connector you are missing does look just like the rectangular connector on the piece you bought though. But the wiring coming from the C-Pillar is coming off the main chassis harness. These connectors come off all the time. You just need to crimp a new female spade connector on and slide the black cover over.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:28 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Found some pictures online showing the connections.
Attached Images   
Old 10-13-2017, 06:33 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by potent951turbo
The "short" harness you got is for the opposite end of the strut and connects to a spade connector on the glass and strut end. The connector you are missing does look just like the rectangular connector on the piece you bought though. But the wiring coming from the C-Pillar is coming off the main chassis harness. These connectors come off all the time. You just need to crimp a new female spade connector on and slide the black cover over.
Interesting. I have a 924S also, and the connector on that end of the strut is the same type of connector running through the hole. Diagrams that were found appear to show this short harness on the C-pillar side, as a separate harness.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:51 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

I'm pretty sure the connector on the C-Pillar wire (Rectangular Cover with female spade inside) is the same as the one end of short harness. The wire coming out of the grommet on the C-Pillar from what I recall of former parts cars is just a lead coming off the main harness. Like I said though, it's an easy repair and I doubt you're missing any length of wiring. That connector slips off the wiring all the time on 944/968's.

Also your cargo cover is installed upside down.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:57 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

SO I finally found the correct type female spade connector, at an electronics hoarder's estate sale, of all places. Insulation support, posi-lock connector. Virtually identical to the stock connector.

The connection is repaired.

However, I had read that this also serves as the ground connection for the third brake light, which does not work. I expected it to work after the connection was repaird.
It does not.
Haven't been able to test if the defroster is working or not.

The light strip DOES light up when tested with a power supply.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-04-2021, 05:25 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 152 Posts

Resurrecting old thread, but ground for third brake light on the coupes is part of the wiring for the hatch wiper. There is an additional mini-harness that runs from there through the glass to the third brake light.

Quick Reply: Rear hatch defrost