968 Forum 1992-1995

Shouldn't I be using SOME oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 12:38 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Shouldn't I be using SOME oil?

I've had my 1992 968 since 2004, when I bought it with 83K miles on it. I've read that it's common for these engines to go through a fair amount of oil, on the order of as much to a quart every thousand miles or so, even on an otherwise healthy engine. My engine has never consumed much, and as part of my project to convert it to a track car about five years ago, I rebuilt the engine. Since the rebuild, it uses ZERO oil, or very close to it. Mind you, this is a track car that lives in a very hot climate, so it's driven very hard, with many trips to the red line (and beyond) per track session, of which I do an average a couple a week. It has behaved this way regardless of the brand of oil I use. I'm currently running Joe Gibbs Driven HR3 15W50 oil, which I would say has been even "better" than previous types of oil I've used in terms of its consumption rate, which has truly been about as close to zero as I can imagine.

I realize there is a wide range of levels of oil consumption in these engines that are considered within the bounds of normal behavior, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced virtually no consumption between oil changes. I'm going on the assumption that this falls under the category of nice problems to have, but I'm curious how common this is. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:26 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Cloud - same here. The car I started doing DEs in wasn't on Driven and had 5,000 less miles than my track car. It always consumed a little oil when driven hard. I switched to Driven 15w50 as soon as I acquired the dedicated track car and zero consumption. Absolutely zero. I don't know that it's the oil, but I love the stuff!

I've got a buddy who always attends with me and his 968 consumes a full quart every weekend. He is not on Driven.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:01 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Cliff,

Thanks for the reply - Mike Lindsey from Lindsey Racing highly recommended this oil, and it appears to be performing quite well. And yes, I know of people with relatively fresh engines that go through a quart or more during a weekend DE. Anyway, glad to hear there are others with the same experience I'm having.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:54 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

when i took out my engine at 199k miles, it maybe used a half quart every 5 or 6 thousand miles.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:36 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
Cliff,

Thanks for the reply - Mike Lindsey from Lindsey Racing highly recommended this oil, and it appears to be performing quite well. And yes, I know of people with relatively fresh engines that go through a quart or more during a weekend DE. Anyway, glad to hear there are others with the same experience I'm having.
Mike is a great guy. I spoke with him last week. I have a friend who can reach Lake Speed Jr. and we did that for our oil recommendation. As GM of Driven he is obviously going to suggest his product, but his lubrication knowledge is amazing and never before has a GM of a lubrication company helped me pick my oil.

Quick Reply: Shouldn't I be using SOME oil?