968 15T odometer gear - Volvo replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 09:53 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
Default 968 15T odometer gear - Volvo replacement

Just FYI, I needed to replace the lentil-sized 15 tooth odometer gear in my 92 968 and saw that the same parts for a Volvo 850 (about the same year) appeared to be correct for the 968. They were also cheaper and available more quickly than the lower cost 968-spec part which would have come from overseas for me. I got the 15T gear off ebay for under $10 and shipped to me (first class mail) in only a few days.

Some suggest replacing the carrier gear as well but mine seemed fine. The little gear had degraded but the carrier showed no signs of this.

We shall see if any of this turns out to be a mistake. After 20 miles or so, no problems,

While I had the cluster out I also taped over my "light tunnels" with aluminum tape despite them being in fine shape in my car, this will if nothing else prevent any scraping of them during installation. I put in new 194 (3 watt) bulbs which are a tad brighter than stock but won't melt the sockets like the W5Ws might (I am told). I chose 194s because they are common and inexpensive, stock appears to be 2W (161?). I also swapped some of the rarely-used bulbs to the more commonly used locations, like swapping the brake pad light with the turn signal position and so on.

I also calibrated the voltmeter and double checked the speedo before putting it all back together.

If I find myself at the pick-n-pull sometime and there is an 850 there I might grab the clocks out of it in case I ever need other speedo parts for a 968, maybe some of the other stuff would swap over also.

Hope this helps someone,
-Joel.

Quick Reply: 968 15T odometer gear - Volvo replacement