Clutch suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 10:21 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Clutch suggestions

Well it looks like I am entering new clutch zone. I am interested in any suggestions or experiences as to clutch selection. Stock vs aftermarket.
My car is used on the street so track requirements will be slim.
Regards,
Maverick
Old 09-16-2003, 01:25 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Maverick,
Sorry for the delay. I meant to reply this morning and was distracted.
The standard Turbo has a double mass flywheel. It uses a simple clutch plate which cannot really be improved upon for normal road use. I would stick with the standard Porsche part number unit. I have seen Sachs units used but I am not sure of their reliability. My advice is always in these cases to stick to the original. I know a couple of people who use kevlar lined clutch plates but I am not sure this is value for money for road use.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 09-16-2003, 02:55 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just changed to a single mass flywheel, all Porsche parts. This is what I have found:

+
The car accelerates faster
There is less turbo lag and the car feels more 993 like
Pedal is a lot lighter (likely the pressure plate more than anything)

-
More noise and vibration through the chasis, quite a bit more on overrun
Gearbox feels notchier because the revs don't line up as nicely when you shift, the revs drop too fast
Seems the disc material is more fragile, doesn't seem as robust

Something to keep in mind, I had to replace my master and slave cylinders at the same time, you might want to do the slave while you are down there rather than later like I did.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:55 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the quick resposes. I had heard that going to the lightweight flywheel can cause the engine to die especialy if you have the AC on when decelerating unless you can heel and toe to keep the revs up as you slow. My mechanic mentioned that the 993 C4 clutch assy works on the Turbo. He showed me an aluminium assy which obviously reduces weight. I like the idea of enhanced performance as I am contemplating some mild mods one of which was the flywheel. I am interested in the comment you made fc, on the increased vibration and that the disc seems less robust. Could you elaborate on these?
I agree on th master and slave, I have noticed the pedal hanging up on release, which apparently is indicitve of seals going bad.
Thanks again for the input, its invaluable. Adrian I have my name in for notification on your book from Bently, the sample they offer looks GREAT!
Maverick

Quick Reply: Clutch suggestions