OEM Exhaust Tip Baffle gut?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:05 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts
Default OEM Exhaust Tip Baffle gut?

I'm switching back to OEM exhaust tips.
... (yes there are questions at the bottom...)

I love my full GHL exhaust, but don't like the look of the ROUND SS tips from GHL (too much like the American Muscle BBC exhaust coming out the back of my '68 & '69 Camaro's)...

I've been told that the baffling in the original tips helps remove some of the turbo whine. I actually like that raw loud sound. The GHL tips are 3" straight through. It appears the OEM tips have a baffle which is no more than a tubular metal sheath with holes in it (angled off center from the flow). From the entry side of the tip, that circular sheath could easily be cut out, and you would not be able to see the mod at all from the exit side (that you see standing behind the car)...

Even though the OEM tip has a much smaller exit hole (1 1/2"), verses the size of the exhaust pipe leading up to the tip (3"), I would prefer to leave the exit side of the tip as is. This will give me the OEM look I am after.

QUESTIONS:
1) Has anyone ever compared the sound differences between a OEM tip WITH the baffle left in, verses one WITHOUT the baffle?

2) Has anyone ever cut the baffle out?

3) Do you think it will even make a difference in the sound?

4) Muffler side, verses Wastegate side,.. thoughts on cutting out one verses the other, or both?

Opinions welcome. Pics below...
=S

Old 07-21-2015, 09:15 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

Here is a stock tip that I adapted to my system, using the stock swivel fitting. I recall the diameter of the pipe leading to the tip as being 2-3/4 inches. I also don't recall any baffling being in the r/h tip (the l/h tip is for the wastegate and contains a small catalyst).
No matter what you do with the tips, your car will have that sound you don't care for, except for returning to stock. Then the loudest thing you will hear will be the engine cooling fan.
If you want sexy sound buy a Rarlyl8 tuned system. Otherwise, you will have what you have now. You can make it louder or softer but the pitch will remain the same.
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2015, 09:28 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Please remember that my exhaust is not stock, so the pipe size leading up to the swivel tip connection is different verses stock. GHL is 3".

Anyway yes, I love the sound I have currently (not stock). I am only really asking if squeezing the sound down at the very last second as it is exiting the new OEM tips will change at all (if I leave the baffle/catalyst in).

Btw, sorry if I am using the terms catalyst & baffle as the same. To me a metal tube with holes in it can also be a baffle, even if it is all metal. So if it is a catalyst, then so be it. I am referring to one & the same.

Oh, and the pics I posted above were of the LH Wastegate side. I do NOT yet have my hot little hands on the tip for the muffler RH side. That one is coming to me soon.

So are you saying that the RH side does NOT have the baffle/catalyst?
If that is the case, and it is straight through,... then I will probably gut the LH wastegate side & call it a day.

Thanks again.
=S
Old 07-22-2015, 02:08 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have oem tips with the baffling and the turbo spool can be heard 100% when letting off gas and can be heard outside

Catbypass, muffler bypass and wastegate cat bypass with B&B headers.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:41 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

The diameter of a stock system is 2-3/4" all the way through.
The tailpiece coming from my muffler and the Rarlyl8 muffler is 3" but the swivel on the tip reduces to 2-3/4" at the seal so that is the effective diameter.
Turbochargers work best with minimal backpressure so I would recommend that you remove the cat from the l/h tip unless you want to leave it stock.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:36 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

What's a Rarly8?

And thanks for the dimensions of your stock exhaust system Paul (but I am leaving mine sitting on the shelf in my garage). I am guessing then, that those dimensions you give, are the same as for my OEM exhaust system that I am not using. I'll jot those diameters down for future reference.

Decision made here:: Regardless of the what the diameter is going into the tip, verses the tip exit,... I'll just put it together as stock (ie leave the baffling in the tip), and see how it sounds. If I still get that wonderful gurgle upon let off, and the spool when winding things up,... then I'll report that back here.

If not,... I may try removing the baffle, and see if it makes any difference. I will also report any of those findings back here too.

My other question still stands,.... BUT I will answer that question myself, once it arrives at my door. That question is - if the RH-muffler-side-TIP has the same baffle, as the LH-wastegate-side-TIP (that I currently have in my hand)?

Thanks for participating (in this "more-than-likely" LESS than useful post).
=S
Old 07-23-2015, 05:39 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

I have stock headers and a Fabspeed cat delete. I also _had_ Fabspeed tips and swapped back to stock tips because I prefer the stock look in this case. I did however retain the gutted wastegate muffler - and I will say the stock tips do quiet things down - at least on the wastegate side when it opens up. No question. Not necessarily a better sound - but quieter for sure. I've been tempted to remove the stock tip baffling on the wastegate side. I don't recall a difference on the exhaust side (not saying if there is/isn't a difference - I just don't remember).

HTH
Old 08-05-2015, 12:49 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Default closer, but not there yet...

Ok, so I am getting closer to obtaining the RH Pass side exhaust tip, BUT,...

It appears there are chrome ones & black ones. I have already bought one, but it arrived black, so I am confused. I have another person who has another one to sell me, but it is ALSO black. I do not know when some 964's came with chrome verses black. I already have a LH chrome one for wastegate side. It shows P Part # 930.111.251.03
It has a date code of 1Q91.

I "think" I am looking for a RH Pass side part # 930.111.252.01, but it needs to be polished Stainless Steel to match. Any ideas why this part # seems to continue to come up as a black (primer?) exhaust tip?

Last edited by bweSteve; 08-13-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:46 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

The tips are stainless steel.
They come painted from the factory. I stripped the paint off of mine and had them polished professionally because I wanted the chrome look.
So with a little work you can make them chrome or black.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:16 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Thanks AGAIN Paul !!!!
Shows ya how much I know about metal identification. Ooops!

Ok, SS it is. Ques: Is it just the outer shell that is stainless? or the back shaft too?

I'll check on the black one & see if it polishes up. Any hints on polishing? (product to use?, wet sand?, Paint Stripper first?, etc).

This forum rocks.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:54 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

It's 100% stainless.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:41 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Ok guys,... back to this thread again.

First,... I am surprised at you,... yes ALL of you,... that NO ONE knew whether the RH side had the interior baffle, like the LH (wastegate) side has. Or at least no one bothered to bend at the knees and take a 3 second look at both of their OEM tips. Very easy to see (once you actually HAVE them in hand). You know I'm KIDDING right?
ok, ok, enuff busting all your *****.... now for some helpful information....

I finally found a OEM RH (muffler-side) tip. It DOES NOT have the metal baffling that the LH (wastegate) side has. Thus they certainly each have a very different "look", when you stand 5 ft behind the vehicle, and are low enough to see into each of them. I NEVER noticed that on 964 Turbo's before. Guess I am not as perceptive as I thought.

And now that I have installed them,... I can agree with urquattro20Vt,... it has definitely quieted down the sound I used to get when I was on boost & 1bar wastegate spring was open. I miss that sound. I did not want to lose that sound.

Also, just to follow up on Paul's note about the black paint coming from Porsche factory. It is very easy to take off. Simple mineral spirits and some rubbing, and it is polished up like new.

SOOO much happier with the stock look from the rear.
=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 09-15-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:24 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the LH has baffles and the right side one doesnt, on different threads I mentioned that.

I dont have any catalytic converter on the car, so I am not sure if baffles will make a difference.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:19 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Sorry bout that (busting of b...). I was kidding of course. I KNOW many of you certainly know that fact (diff between each side).

MeanMachine, you are certainly right. The Cat would make a big difference in sound.

My GHL Cat bypass actually "looks" like a Cat, and actually does have baffling inside it. So my sound is definitely quiet. I'm bummed.

And I've also made a decision that I am NOT willing to gut that LH tip. It is an original, datecode stamped tip (pic in post #8 above), that was given to me by a good friend. I am not willing to modify the original equipment.

So my only other choice would be to gut the Cat lookalike. That outta make it louder!
Old 09-16-2015, 10:55 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
So my only other choice would be to gut the Cat lookalike. That outta make it louder!
You could sell the bypass rather than chopping it up, eliminate the stock muffler (assuming that you are still using it) and buy a Rarlyl8 standard muffer, which is plenty loud without being obnoxious.

Quick Reply: OEM Exhaust Tip Baffle gut?