964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

screeching noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 09:47 AM
jfl503
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default screeching noise

Occasionally I'm getting a screeching noise (almost annoying like nails on a chalk board) on warm (hot?) start-ups. At first I thought it might be related to the a/c fan as the first few times the noise was gone when I restarted w/ the fan off. Then once I started w/ the fan off and screeech... At which pt I turned-on the fan; the sound went away. Note, turning off the fan did not get rid of the sound before.

Looking for some insight before getting the car looked at as this is one of those things that does not happen all the time and probably won't when I'm at the mechanic. I'm assuming it has to be a pulley or belt... Any suggests are appreciated.

Also how much are compressor bypass valve replacements? My car also has just started sounding like a Subaru w/ blow-off valves....

Thx.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:23 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jason

You should have your AC belt checked, these things tend to break when you least need it. Also, belts that break can take other things with them. Happened to me, the fan belt broke and managed to take out the AC belt as well.

My Forge CBV was $200 including shipping.
Search this board and you will find more information than you want about this topic. But the short story is that if you have the stock CBV have it replaced even if it works.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:41 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Look at your tempo control **** and make sure the next time you do a start that this is in the blue dot position. Check if the screech is present. If it appears gone turn the **** to the red dot position and see if the screech comes back. Do this when the engine is cold.
There are two rear blower fan in the wheel arches (one per side) of the Turbo. The last time such a thing was reported the problem was the fan. You may well have been driving with the temp control in the blue dot position all the time so the rear blowers are only going to start up when the engine is hot and started. They dump the hot air in the system overboard.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 09-02-2003, 10:13 PM
jfl503
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Staffan. Thanks Adrian.

Adrian- My temp **** is always at blue so the primary cause 'should' be the blower fans. Will have the A/C belt checked, but it should not be related to my problem correct?
Old 09-08-2003, 06:14 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason, forget the part about the A/C belt in my post.

Quick Reply: screeching noise