964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

NEC Classic Turbo 40 Display

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 02:50 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishTurbo2
Well it turns out that there was a mix up at the auction with one of the commission bids and one of the bidders ended up bidding against himself. Disappointing from our point of view but we have secured the sale closer to the higher end of the auction guide which is still impressive.

I feel it was a truly remarkable car and am sad to let it go. I had a lower mileage RHD model which I sold a few months back and it wasnt close to the condition of this car so I would be interested what you referred to as a potential issue with condition?
So how clean is clean? Did the car have all its original cosmoline? Any blemishes at all? It is nice to know what makes one worth so much more than others. Mileage does not always dictate condition.

BTW congrats on the sale. I am assuming you were closer to the 155 mark?
Old 11-19-2014, 07:05 PM
Sifly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent about half an hr looking over the NEC 3.6 before the sale.

The car looked very original and straight with no obvious signs of body repair etc. I did find quite a lot of light curved scratches on various panels which looked similar to those you might find after a contaminated blade has been used to remove surface water after washing, but they were most likely shallow enough to be removed with a light cut. The alloys were all very clean with no obvious signs of corrosion or damage and all had the correct 'speedline for PORSCHE' rim markings. The Engine bay was all very tidy as you would expect from a low miles car also with no signs of oil or dripping from the underside.
One disappointment was the condition of the rear lights which were quite faded for the mileage and the rear reflector panel was also badly cracked on top below the right hand side screw fixing which had been over tightened at some point, braking the fixing surround.
The interior was difficult to asses properly because of all the shadowing from the various florescent and spot lights above the display, but it look very tidy and felt (and smelt) fairly new. There was no significant marking to the seats or controls. The biggest let down inside the cabin was a set of cheap looking ridged floor mats!
The luggage compartment was clean and tidy with the only real eye sore being a bulge and slit to the drivers side inner wing carpet where the CD changer was located (possibly aftermarket).

So all in all, a very clean and straight car with only a few minor cosmetic niggles which I could see.

The blue 3.6 on the PCGB stand looked in need of a bit of TLC and interestingly appeared to have the rev counter from a tip-tronic car!

Last edited by Sifly; 11-19-2014 at 07:18 PM. Reason: photo added
Old 11-20-2014, 09:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sifly
I spent about half an hr looking over the NEC 3.6 before the sale.

The car looked very original and straight with no obvious signs of body repair etc. I did find quite a lot of light curved scratches on various panels which looked similar to those you might find after a contaminated blade has been used to remove surface water after washing, but they were most likely shallow enough to be removed with a light cut. The alloys were all very clean with no obvious signs of corrosion or damage and all had the correct 'speedline for PORSCHE' rim markings. The Engine bay was all very tidy as you would expect from a low miles car also with no signs of oil or dripping from the underside.
One disappointment was the condition of the rear lights which were quite faded for the mileage and the rear reflector panel was also badly cracked on top below the right hand side screw fixing which had been over tightened at some point, braking the fixing surround.
The interior was difficult to asses properly because of all the shadowing from the various florescent and spot lights above the display, but it look very tidy and felt (and smelt) fairly new. There was no significant marking to the seats or controls. The biggest let down inside the cabin was a set of cheap looking ridged floor mats!
The luggage compartment was clean and tidy with the only real eye sore being a bulge and slit to the drivers side inner wing carpet where the CD changer was located (possibly aftermarket).

So all in all, a very clean and straight car with only a few minor cosmetic niggles which I could see.

The blue 3.6 on the PCGB stand looked in need of a bit of TLC and interestingly appeared to have the rev counter from a tip-tronic car!
Thanks for the detailed critique of its condition which plays a considerable roll in the selling price of these cars. I have been trying to get my agreed value for my insurance increased but they won't budge due to insufficient documentation on sale prices and Hagerty still has these listed at $38,000 average value.

My mileage might be more and there are some reversible mods but condition is on par; possibly better so I will try again to inch up its agreed value and keep my fingers crossed.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:24 AM
TomKim
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys! I need all of your help. Experts, enthusiasts, please advise.

I want to find out - HAS THERE EVER BEEN A 964 TURBO 3.6 S (!!!) with a 3.6 engine?????

Wikipedia says they had 90 chassis left out of which they made the rare gem which appears a phantom. I hear there has indeed been a 3.3 Turbo S ok. What about 3.6? Has anyone ever came across one? DO THEY EXIST?

Some info here.....

http://www.flachbau.com/1994s.php
Old 11-20-2014, 09:40 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomKim

I want to find out - HAS THERE EVER BEEN A 964 TURBO 3.6 S (!!!) with a 3.6 engine?????

Wikipedia says they had 90 chassis left out of which they made the rare gem which appears a phantom. I hear there has indeed been a 3.3 Turbo S ok. What about 3.6? Has anyone ever came across one? DO THEY EXIST?

Some info here.....

Sorry just reread your post the 94 turbo S 3.6 is real and the website documents them all. Gorgeous car and i am sad I passed on my friends when he sold his. Values are staggering approaching the values of the 3.8RS/RSR's
Old 11-20-2014, 09:51 AM
TomKim
Cruisin'

Where can I get one?
Old 11-20-2014, 09:55 AM
TomKim
Cruisin'

Anthony, do you know of any owners?
Old 11-20-2014, 10:14 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact member flachbau, he has contacts for Slant Nose Turbo 3.6 S
Old 11-20-2014, 10:33 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I have known many owners but they have all since sold. A local rennlister here once owned 6 at one time. Gorgeous cars and the 94 turbo S tail IMO is the nicest ever used on a turbo. You have to see it in person.

Your best bet is to contact Mark from flachbau.com as said, otherwise they are scarce. RPM has a few but I don't think he is willing to sell at any price. Never hurts to ask though.

http://www.rpmsportscars.com/inven.htm

Richard Sloan had a package car and a flachbau but I believe they sold recently. You can always give him a call and see, sometimes they have leads
http://sloancars.com/

All the others listed sold recently.

I think you will find most owners are not selling but GLWS.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Are you interested in buying one? Mark
Old 11-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Some info here.....

There is no 36S w/ a non M64/50S engine if that is what you are asking.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Where can I get one?
Check your PM

Quick Reply: NEC Classic Turbo 40 Display