Suspension Arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Hsianers
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Arms

Dear All

Have been away for awhile busy with traveling for work... Hope everyone's had a good start to the year!!

I was just wondering if there are alternatives for suspension arms for the 3.3T? I am looking to replace the arms and bushes (as they are 20 yrs old) and have been advised to go with the stock bushes (as I will not be tracking the 3.3T)..

I was reading Total 911 and noted that Regal in the UK has replacement suspension arms with spherical bushes which allow for more adjustment - camber etc...

Are there any similar for the 964T? Had a look around the site but couldn't find anything from the searches.

I thought since I will be replacing the arms, that I might as well see if there are any options to consider. Am going with Bilstiens and H&R Red springs as well.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated..
Old 02-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

When searching for parts, start with the 964 board as those cars share 80% of their parts with Turbos.
There's no need to replace the arms because the bushings are bad. I've never, ever heard of anyone experiencing a fatigue failure of an aluminum suspension arm. The use of aluminum suspension arms is widespread in the industry and have been verified as safe for long term service, so there is no need to replace them if not damaged.
For aftermarket bushings there's Elephant Racing, Walrod and Powerflex. All have their benefits and drawbacks, including price.

Last edited by Metal Guru; 02-01-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:20 AM
Hsianers
Instructor

Thanks Paul...

Will double check with the mechanic.. I believe its just the bushes that he wants replaced...

Just did an order on Pelican parts for some of the rubber trims... Lots more stuff to get... Yikes!!
Old 02-05-2014, 12:55 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Are you replacing just because of age? I have not found age to be an issue both my C2 and turbo bushings are still in perfect condition. Even with track miles on the C2 so far so good. Try the crowbar method of checking to see if they are still in good working order. If you are going with H&R and Bilsteins stick with factory no need for anything else.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Hsianers
Instructor

THanks Tony

Ues, primarily as they are 20 years old.. will have the mechanic double check to see how much give they have... I was just speaking to him about it earlier and he was a little worried that if he was to remove the original bushes from the arms, that they new ones may not go back in as snugly..

Thanks for the advice..
Old 02-08-2014, 09:20 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

964 turbo owners have been known to retrofit narrow body rear swing arms to allow the use
of a wider wheel as 10.5 -11.0 is about the limit with originals...Bert
Old 02-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hsianers
Ues, primarily as they are 20 years old.. will have the mechanic double check to see how much give they have... I was just speaking to him about it earlier and he was a little worried that if he was to remove the original bushes from the arms, that they new ones may not go back in as snugly...
Really? That's BS. It's done all the time.
Maybe you should find an more knowledgeable mechanic.

Last edited by Metal Guru; 02-09-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:34 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by budge96
964 turbo owners have been known to retrofit narrow body rear swing arms to allow the use
of a wider wheel as 10.5 -11.0 is about the limit with originals...Bert
Bert, you neglected to mention that 11's won't fit unless you dial in 2-2.5 degrees negative camber that the rears will need to be set at to get them under the fenders (I liken the look to aircraft landing gear that trying to retract). It's not really good on the wheel bearings or ride quality. IMO, people do that just to say you are running 11's but they aren't really doing you any good.
I'm running 10-3/4's which puts the inside wheel lip at 5-6 mm from the trailing arm. I even went as far as to remove the casting parting line to gain even more clearance. I run the normal 1 degree negative camber. That extra 1/4 inch to get to 11 is to the outside of the wheel, hence the need for extreme camber.
Spartan has the set up of which you speak on his 964T.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:56 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for that Paul ,yes I'm certainly not recommending trying to run 11'' rears without some extreme camber adjustments even at that I won't be trying it.
I have a set of narrow body arms myself just haven't begun the retrofit of the drivetrain ,the rear
suspension arms can wait..
Maybe what the OP was looking for is a monoball spherical bearing setup and mistakenly mentioned
swing arm replacement?
These can be found at a few places Pelican I believe has an assortment of bearing/metal bushing
replacements..Bert
Old 02-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by budge96
Maybe what the OP was looking for is a monoball spherical bearing setup and mistakenly mentioned
swing arm replacement?
These can be found at a few places Pelican I believe has an assortment of bearing/metal bushing
replacements..Bert
I've re-read the post and I'm not 100% sure what parts he is looking for.
There appears to be 3 sources for front end bushings (Elephant Racing, Walrod and Powerflex) but I've only seen Powerflex bushings for the rear arms. Spring plates are, like you said, spherical bearings or stock ($$$). I think it takes $2500 to do it all.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:38 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Hsianers - Which direction did you end up going with the bushings?
Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Hsianers
Instructor

Thanks All for the comments..

Have not gotten round to ordering the bushes as yet as have been traveling every weekend since Christmas...!!

Was just looking at the stock standard bushes for both front and rears but will have the mechanic put a crowbar to them to see how much give there is...

The rebuild is taking way longer than originally anticipated.. but I suppose thats the norm....

Quick Reply: Suspension Arms