Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 04:47 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Porsche EKS system ?

Having just re-read this article by Bruce Anderson it has supported
My suspicion that the EKS system fitted to my car was there from new &
Could be viewed as a Porsche option.The article states that in addition to the Ruf
EKS optioned cars there were another 20 5 speed 3.6 turbos by Porsche
I would Expect that the Brunei Royals would have been first in line and
Ordered most if not all of them.

http://www.911handbook.com/articles/f_rufcar.html

" After I drove the Ruf 993 prototype with the EKS I was so impressed with the operation of this combination of an automatic clutch and a manual six-speed transmission that I would now be willing to try to defend it in one of those macho conversations. You can bet that if I can afford it that I will try one in the "Project 911" that I am building. You loose absolutely no performance, yet you don't have to bother with a clutch. Its operation is computer controlled and it is definitely more consistent than most drivers and I would guess a lot smarter than some, including me. I honestly didn't miss the clutch pedal at all and only poked at the clutchless floor once and that was one time when I pulled to a stop to photograph one of the cars.

"The Ruf EKS clutch system has been available since the Spring of 1992. Sixty EKS cars have been built and sold already and most of the cars that Ruf is building now are delivered with this option. Porsche also offers the EKS clutch system and has already built 20 3.6 911 Turbos with the EKS clutch system using their own five-speed transmissions. Porsche says that unfortunately this system will not be available for cars in the US because it has not been approved and they are concerned about product liability in the US market. Ruf will make his cars available here in the US with the EKS clutch and don't count this option out. "

Maybe it would be economically viable to return to original ?
( but still a pain to service )
Is it an important part of Porsche history to preserve ?
I got in touch with Ruf a few years ago and they estimated a cost
Of at least €10k but they did not have a UK shop. I think they now
Have an agent in London...

What do you guys think of this for a potential New Year project
Or am i still intoxicated from last night ?

Last edited by Turbo Jonny; 01-01-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

So I read the Anderson article and it appears that EKS is the automatic shifting of a conventional manual Porsche transmission; the production forerunner of the modern twin clutch systems being sold today. Porsche PDK is comparable to EKS but is a twin wet clutch transmission that allows faster, smoother shifting of gears (yielding smoother torque delivery to the wheels) over the Ruf EKS system. It's worth mentioning that both systems are more efficient than a conventional automatic transmission since there losses in the fluid coupling occurring in the torque converter.
I think I would try to drive an EKS car and compare it with a more modern PDK car. I understand that you want your car to be original but you will have to determine if you can live with it in EKS form.
Then there's the issue of documenting that the system was fitted from new. Can Ruf verify that they modified your car? I know that you know that's the $15,000 question.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Paul ,

Ruf have confirmed that they have a record the EKS being fitted to my car.
I will try to find where the fitting was done and whether it was a Porsche option
As the article states. The driving impressions i have read sound good but access to
And cost of maintainance is an issue.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:34 PM
Black_Hat
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

FYI

no affiliation

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-993-...ee82cb&vxp=mtr
Old 01-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I will look into any differences with the 964 , i think its just the actuator that i
Need.

Quick Reply: Porsche EKS system ?