Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Time to reconsider how you view your car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 11:21 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,959 Likes on 1,184 Posts

When you consider what a new base Porsche 911 will cost by 2019 I don't see these numbers being unrealistic. I don't see the 3.3's reaching those numbers until closer to 2018 and I agree the SL and package cars will be higher due to the numbers made alone.

Looking back when they were unloading the Big reds they were a great buy and wish I had kept the extra sets I had along with the extra sets of speedlines. I am just hanging onto my turbo S tail in its original gel coat but I don't see how that can command all that much since after a point it would be cheaper to have someone copy it for less although the IC shrouds would be far harder to copy.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:12 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 580 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
I guess it explains the fact that poor condition / high mileage cars are now being snapped up. RE the predictions - are you assuming an average mileage of say 60k ?
Jonny, what's the UK market doing right now? I'm still tempted to travel Europe in my Turbo 3.6 and maybe sell it afterwards.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:40 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Prices have been around £90k. Could be higher in spring. Would you want to leave it with a dealer or try to sell privately ? Let me know if i can help. You will miss it.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:54 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 580 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
Prices have been around £90k. Could be higher in spring. Would you want to leave it with a dealer or try to sell privately ? Let me know if i can help. You will miss it.
One of our group has just purchased a RHD 991 GT3 and blogged about driving from Switzerland through Italy and France. That and the small market here gave me an idea to mix a trip and a sale in the future.

Good cars in NZ have been on the market at GBP 60k and not selling. It would cost about GBP 20k for shipping, duty etc so it works financially. I would probably look at private interest first, then I leave it in the UK for up to a year to sell through a dealer if that took awhile. I could do two trips if need be, and the worst case is ship it back to NZ. This is likely a couple of years away.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:48 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree. A GT3 is what I would trade mine for and only because I would then actually drive it. As it is the Turbo just sits on the lift. Race tracks are my real addiction.......
Old 01-10-2014, 01:03 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not as confident in the market as most. I look at early/mid 911's like stand up pacman video games. 15 years ago a good one was $500.00 now they are $3500 and up Why?? Because the generation that played them as kids are now aspiring to relive their childhood. I believe the same thing is happening with early/mid Porsches. They have become aspirational products and the kids that dreamed about them in the 80's and early 90's now have the funds to purchase them, which has made the market go bonkers.

Porsches, historically, have never traded even close to their as new MSRP. Today that is not the case. I also think people are looking for anything to invest in that might realize some appreciation. Usually when this happens the bubble bursts. The muscle car craze is a great example. Most of the muscle cars that traded at 300-400K only a few years ago can now be had for a 1/3 of that. Plus the fact when dad dies today and leaves his kid a 250K 1969 Camaro the kid looks at it like its an old piece of sh*t. It is not his aspirational item, it was his dads, he would rather have a new Nissan GTR.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

I think you are right with regular base 964 993 etc If it carries on at this rate
There will be a shakeout. Not sure about the boomers and bust

964 Speedsters , RS , Turbo's are true classics . The price of 2.7 RS , early 911 , 930
356 ect are all still rising..
Old 01-10-2014, 04:04 PM
ponzzzz
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Craig,
I totally see what you are saying but i also think there is something to be said for the fact that these cars are not only the last of the air cooled cars but also last of the true manuals.

As far as the kids that inherit these cars, yes i also agree and i had laugh because its so true...On the other hand it all depends on the Kid. If i was left a 69 Camaro, it would be sold instantly, a 69 911 S different story, treasured.....

I still don't see why low production Porsches can't appreciate the way Ferraris do?
Old 01-10-2014, 11:14 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ponzzzz

I still don't see why low production Porsches can't appreciate the way Ferraris do?
959 trades for 700k (recent auction price)
288 GTO trades for a minimum of 1.8M

It's taken 10 years for the Carrera GT to trade at close to 400k, still over 10% below MSRP.

Porsche has a long way to go.

My 991 GT3 comes in next week. Hopefully that won't nose dive in value.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Y65MPH
Porsches, historically, have never traded even close to their as new MSRP. Today that is not the case. I also think people are looking for anything to invest in that might realize some appreciation. Usually when this happens the bubble bursts. The muscle car craze is a great example. Most of the muscle cars that traded at 300-400K only a few years ago can now be had for a 1/3 of that. Plus the fact when dad dies today and leaves his kid a 250K 1969 Camaro the kid looks at it like its an old piece of sh*t. It is not his aspirational item, it was his dads, he would rather have a new Nissan GTR.
+1 Craig. I was trying to make that point with the Corvette bubble in the '80's. I was a Corvette owner back then and witnessed it first hand. This bubble will eventually burst when the economy goes into it's next tailspin.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 269 Posts

+1...I have owned my Boss 429 since 1983...I should plot the price on my car! In 1983 I paid $13,500 for it...
(Maybe I should have written a check to Bernie Madoff instead?)

Originally Posted by Metal Guru

+1 Craig. I was trying to make that point with the Corvette bubble in the '80's. I was a Corvette owner back then and witnessed it first hand. This bubble will eventually burst when the economy goes into it's next tailspin.
you don't have confidence in the government handling the economy?!
Old 01-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
you don't have confidence in the government handling the economy?!
Between the government and the banks we don't stand a chance
Old 01-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How can this entire thread talk about cars going to the moon without a discussion on why/how this happened, not only to collector cars, but many, many asset classes ? Don't get me wrong....I have enjoyed the ride as much as anyone (just in other asset classes). Factor in QE1, QE2, QE3 for 4 years and then operation twist ($85 billion/month) for the past year......this is all artificial money which will end in 2014. As Jim Rogers (founding partner of Quantum Group (read George Soros)) would say, give me 6 trillion dollars and I'll show you a good time too. Stanley Druckenmiller said when the Fed is done with operation twist, he expects most assets classes to sink back to pre QE2 levels. The problem most people have with 'wanting' to understand the likely dire consequences of this 'money printing party' is that its gone on for so long, everyone is used to it. And no, I am not a doomsday popper....my thoughts and ideas are harvested from the greatest investors on the planet. Enjoy the party while it lasts...just remember, the liquor is starting to be removed from the punchbowl and will be gone by the end of 2014.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:15 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon123
How can this entire thread talk about cars going to the moon without a discussion on why/how this happened, not only to collector cars, but many, many asset classes ? Don't get me wrong....I have enjoyed the ride as much as anyone (just in other asset classes). Factor in QE1, QE2, QE3 for 4 years and then operation twist ($85 billion/month) for the past year......this is all artificial money which will end in 2014. As Jim Rogers (founding partner of Quantum Group (read George Soros)) would say, give me 6 trillion dollars and I'll show you a good time too. Stanley Druckenmiller said when the Fed is done with operation twist, he expects most assets classes to sink back to pre QE2 levels. The problem most people have with 'wanting' to understand the likely dire consequences of this 'money printing party' is that its gone on for so long, everyone is used to it. And no, I am not a doomsday popper....my thoughts and ideas are harvested from the greatest investors on the planet. Enjoy the party while it lasts...just remember, the liquor is starting to be removed from the punchbowl and will be gone by the end of 2014.
Very true and widely agreed upon in financial circles….and in the collector car market it means many opportunities lie ahead for those ready, however in my view the much better picture is 964 turbo values long term. Yes, in the short term our cars will at some point back up a bit value wise….however the current run up in values means that when market conditions are right the demand is there for 964 turbos and in the future it will return again but most likely much much stronger the next time around.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Taper is a total red herring. There is no recovery yet & the Fed will be dovish as long
As inflation is low and the real unemployment situation is pitiful. If you follow Jim Rogers
He believes we are simply setting up another bigger crisis and the Fed and Washington will
Only know how to print. So , Deflation / Inflation a lot of people will still prefer real assets.
My Economics 2p. Buy The Porsche Dip and just enjoy the ride !
Attached Images  

Last edited by Turbo Jonny; 01-12-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Time to reconsider how you view your car?