Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

New fuel accumulator question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013 | 03:40 PM
Ostranjg
Rennlist Member

Default New fuel accumulator question

Anyone had to have this replaced? If so, any idea on the price to do so?

Had car checked out by local Indy shop and that is the issue...
Old 10-16-2013 | 03:46 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

I replaced the Fuel Accumulator in my 94 3.6 Turbo when I had it. Its a common problem for the 964/965 CIS cars. There is a bladder that wears out in the unit making it hard to start up again when its hot. If you need one I have a brand new one (still in the box) that I will sell you. I got it when I had my 91 Turbo, it was going out but it wasn't as bad as my 94 so I never put it in. If I remember correctly the labor was around $250-300 at the dealer.

Last edited by SA Mike; 10-16-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2013 | 04:09 PM
Ostranjg
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the offer on the accumulator. But I already had the shop go ahead on it. Just wanted to make sure they were being straight forward on pricing as I've never used this shop before...
Old 10-17-2013 | 12:41 AM
Ostranjg
Rennlist Member

So I talked to my Indy shop guy today about the fuel accumulator...

He said that just the part was $500! Without labor.

This is BS as I found the part on Pelican for just over $200. I called him out on it.

His excuse was that he didn't know and apparently is getting hosed by his supplier. Also he said he has to make SOME money on parts.

This guy came recommended, but does this sound like a bunch of BS?
Old 10-17-2013 | 08:17 AM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Wow talk about a mark up! I always try to buy parts somewhere other than my local dealer as they are considerably cheaper.
Old 10-17-2013 | 01:01 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Default Not really BS

Depending on Exactly which Part, look on Ebay there's some wanting $750, when I needed one (3.6) it was a Bosch Part that was back order, I got a used on on Pelican for $100, it was the same as an old 930 part, couldn't find a new one at the time.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/eBay-Motors-...ulator&_sop=16
Old 10-17-2013 | 10:56 PM
Ostranjg
Rennlist Member

Given that the 964 3.3 Turbo motor shares a lot with the old 930... Is there a short list of parts that are changed from the 930?

Which list is going to be shorter in terms of engines:
The list of parts they changed from the 930 Turbo engine?
or
The list of parts they kept the same from the 930T?
Old 10-18-2013 | 09:16 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ostranjg
Given that the 964 3.3 Turbo motor shares a lot with the old 930... Is there a short list of parts that are changed from the 930?

Which list is going to be shorter in terms of engines:
The list of parts they changed from the 930 Turbo engine?
or
The list of parts they kept the same from the 930T?
It's fairly easy to determine.
The carry-over parts start with 911, 930 or 999. So your part number will be 930-XXX-XXX-XX. Parts exclusive to the 965 start with 965, naturally, and parts shared with the 964, well you see where I'm going here.
I could tolerate a wrench charging a 10% upcharge for handling the parts but 100% mark-up is criminal and a major reason why I do my own work.
Old 10-18-2013 | 02:11 PM
Ostranjg
Rennlist Member

Yeah... I about lost it when he told me what he was charging... Gave him a small piece of my mind...

I'd love to do the work on my Porsche, but my background in tinkering is with BMWs... where the engine is in the wrong, but easier spot to work on... To tell you the truth, I'm kind of nervous to work on the Porsche... Don't you have to drop the engine to do practically everything on the car?
Old 10-18-2013 | 06:57 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Don't you have to drop the engine to do practically everything on the car?
You have to remove the intercooler to do most anything but but no, you don't have to drop the engine. Your wrench isn't going to drop the engine to change the accumulator.
The nervousness is part of the fun and excitement of ownership.
Old 10-18-2013 | 09:14 PM
mapolus
Racer

To tell you the truth, I'm kind of nervous to work on the Porsche... Don't you have to drop the engine to do practically everything on the car?
As a new owner and by far the least mechanically-inclined person you can think of, I encourage you to jump in feet first. A few reasons: 1) The car is so well engineered, that things just kinda make sense (if that makes any sense?) 2) If you get stumped, there are a lot of brilliant minds on this forum that are more than ready to jump in and help and 3) You'll save a metric $hit-ton of money by doing it yourself!!

But, you already know all that.

Here are the resources that have proven to be helpful:
1. The PET (parts diagram)
2. Bentley's Without Guesswork
3. Adrian Streather's Auftragsnummer 964 (there are some deficiencies in this book, but is still a good read -- just cross-check it with the Bentley's manual)
4. DIY section here

Have Fun!
Matt
Old 10-18-2013 | 11:01 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mapolus
Here are the resources that have proven to be helpful:
3. Adrian Streather's Auftragsnummer 964 (there are some deficiencies in this book, but is still a good read -- just cross-check it with the Bentley's manual)
I can't say enough bad things about that book.
Totally useless for troubleshooting and rife with errors, it not even pretty enough to be a coffee table book.
When Streather didn't know things, I believe he made stuff up. He took so much heat for that rag that he quit posting on Rennlist.
Actually, you would actually be better off buying a Bentley manual for the 1984-1988 Carrera or the 911 SC as a supplement to the disappointingly thin "Without Guesswork" book. There's enough crossover between the old Careras and our cars that it could come in handy. And while we're on the subject, Bentley is introducing a nice thick manual on the 993. I asked them about them actually publishing something useful for the 964 and basically all I got was a shoulder shrug

Quick Reply: New fuel accumulator question