Tail light housing

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:14 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tail light housing

hello guys,

Good news is that I solved my engine remedies and the car drives well. The only thing that is bothering me is the right tail light. After installing and not aligning well I removed both left and right to compare and noticed the right light housing is more inclined than the left. In housing I mean the housing that is in the rear right fender.

What is the best solution to get this thing resolved ?

Is it fender related, heat shield, bumper alignment related ?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:18 AM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If it really bothers you, you can still get original lights from Porsche. Sounds like the plastic is distorted and not much you can do for it.

Or, try realigning all the components again.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:20 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mmm951
If it really bothers you, you can still get original lights from Porsche. Sounds like the plastic is distorted and not much you can do for it.

Or, try realigning all the components again.
I have new lights installed, the only thing bothering me is the plastic housing in the fender itself sits higher than the one on the left.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:01 PM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MeanMachine
I have new lights installed, the only thing bothering me is the plastic housing in the fender itself sits higher than the one on the left.
Maybe this picture of my car will help. The only thing I can think of is the metal housing that actually encases the light is not alignes correctly.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:33 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

^ can the thing you are referring to be adjusted ?

What is the procedure
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

It looks like the tongue on the light might not be correctly engaged with the hole in the body and so the light is not properly seated. The other cause could be that they have put a top seal on the light which is not required.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:48 PM
ralt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suggest put car on level ground. Check tire pressures. Put level across rear body with engine lid open. measure ground to body on all the tail light points both sides. the same?? different?? Is chassis straight? Rear fenders never repaired or replaced??
Old 05-31-2013, 04:50 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Thanks is for the comments, the part that is not sitting correctly is the rear right light frame and the lower portion is higher slightly compared to the left and its what's causing the misalignment in the light.

So what should I do to resolve it, I had a friend of mine look at it and he said its very minimal and if I didn't tell him he wouldn't of noticed the misalignment of lights. My friend is the Mercedes manager for the workshop over here and he is German, I haven't discussed with him in regards to the light he told me to stop being picky and just enjoy the car.

It seems after some research a new porsche rear light frame can be purchased? What are my possibilities. I want to resolve the light alignment, I also heard that the centre reflector can be aligned correct to adjust this. Your suggestions I highly welcome, mechanical aspect of the car is done its just this issue and to change the sunroof seal.

Image link of what I am referring to

http://www.rosepassion.com/en/cat/po...ar-left/P43589
Old 05-31-2013, 06:51 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by MeanMachine
My friend is the Mercedes manager for the workshop over here and he is German, I haven't discussed with him in regards to the light he told me to stop being picky and just enjoy the car.
He's German and he doesn't notice it? Shocking
Try lowering the center reflector.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:27 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
He's German and he doesn't notice it? Shocking
Try lowering the center reflector.
Will that help cure my problem, has any one done it before ? Any links would be grateful.

thank you
Old 06-01-2013, 08:52 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Some more pictures for clarification

Old 06-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I talked with my German mechanic and he said .... "quit messing with the car and just drive it already!"
Old 06-01-2013, 05:38 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Flachbau
I talked with my German mechanic and he said .... "quit messing with the car and just drive it already!"
Honest to god he said that. He is not a porsche workshop mechanic but as a friendly advice he said don't let anyone touch the car just enjoy it. He was afraid I would take it to some other place and as a metaphor add insult to injury .ie hack it up and do a worse job
Old 06-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

So in looking at your picture the taillight is slightly deeper than the center reflector, correct?
So I just ran out to my car and it's the same way but on both sides. I even loosened the 3 allen screws that hold the center reflector to the body, pulled the reflector down and re-tightened the screws and couldn't really get it level with the taillights.
In conclusion, unless you remove the center reflector and mod it in some way (don't have time to do mine right now) that's just the way it's going to be.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Actually the centre and left taillight are normal and the right tail light is slightly inclined out and not fitting like the left one as the tail light frame being slightly out of position making it more effort to fit and won't align the lights properly like the left one does.

Quick Reply: Tail light housing