964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Rarlyl8 headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rarlyl8 headers

Headers arrived yesterday! First impressions are good and I look forward to testing fitting these on the engine. Fwiw I paid full boat and I'm just a normal independent customer

My wait was about two months due to the non standard size (1 5/8 for larger ports and cams) and Vband connections. For Vbands you first need the actual Vband ends which come with the turbo and Tial always has a pretty long wait time for turbo's. Always budget a couple of months for this stuff.

Everything was packed nicely and arrived safe & sound which is a big deal to me. It always bothers me when people send expensive hardware or parts with shammy packing. Here is the entire package

Being that this system is really for a 930 I'll have to make a change on the wastegate section but I won't really know what until it gets bolted on.Will continue to use my tial wastegate. I'm making my own tips so as not to destroy the factory setup. Found some nice oval magnaflows that should look nice

Here are the heater boxes. Seems to be aluminum held together with screws. I'll spend some time on the fit & finish

You can see there will be some gaps where air can sneak in which makes me more determined to put a charcoal air filter inline somewhere.

Disassembled

Vband welded on the muff. Don't even know which muff he sent over I just asked for one that allowed some turbo whistle. It's straight through with packing

You can see that I will have some very slight finish work cleaning up things a bit. This is the always the case no matter who makes them or how much they cost imo. If you are **** enough you'll spend time making it perfect! Will send a borescope through the primaries to make sure everything is good as well

Once I test fit everything and get the turbo mount fabbed up I'll send everything out to swaintech for the white lightening treatment. Been using that stuff forever and it makes a huge difference on temps. Never had a cracked header or anything negative from it even after several years of track use. I'm not coating the turbo hotside just exhaust (everything including the heater boxes)

As a bonus here is a picture of the Tial GTX35R in .82 trim with the stainless hotside. This hotside is much lighter and the entire thing weighs only 13lbs! I'll be fabbing up my own oil lines and will run oil to the cooling ports just like I do with the tials on my 993. Not running oil to cooling ports makes zero sense to me although alot of 930 guys run garetts that way. Even a small amount of oil makes a good difference on center section temps. You have to run an oil restrictor (.030) to the lubrication and then run a restricted line to the cooling port. Will be fed by -4AN and I'll make my own oil sump tank with super duper cooling fins (lol i'm convinced it will help but mainly it will be funny).

The GTX differs from a normal GT35R in that it has a billet compressor wheel. The wheel stronger but more importantly its lighter so it spins faster (its also a different design which is supposed to flow more efficiently). With the Alpha 28's on my 993 the wheels spin for several minutes after you shut down the car which is pretty cool and this will be the same

I'll update this thread going forward with fitment and the changes I make to work on my engine.
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Last edited by Spartan; 02-08-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

subscribed!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:43 PM
jrgatfh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VERY nice set up!

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for that turbo?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jrgatfh
VERY nice set up!

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for that turbo?
Its about $2k with the stainless housing. You'll then have to make up your own oiling setup & bracket which isn't a huge deal.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:58 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

How sturdy are the heater boxes?
The headers look great.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
How sturdy are the heater boxes?
The headers look great.
When on the headers they feel sturdy enough but you know if you hit something it's only sheet aluminum. To be fair I will see how they work before final judgement but I knew going into this that they were more or less add on's and won't be nearly as good as factory. This car will see some early spring and late fall driving so it needs *some* heat but nothing crazy. The ceramic coating will help keep the heat in as well. I'm really thinking about where to put the inline hvac filter.......
Old 02-10-2013, 04:16 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts
Default GTX35R

Just recently picked up A US delivered 82 930, It's was Completely modded, 5 Speed G50, B&B Coolers & Full Exhaust,Cams, No Cats, It was done years ago & has a "hole set" Turbo (never heard of, just know they were used on Indy cars) , I was thinking going GT35R, & I know It will need to be fabbed up, now maybe GTX35R?
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

If choosing between the GT35R and a GTX35R its a no brainer imo. GTX is next gen with a proper billet compressor wheel. The tial stainless housing is badass but then you have to deal with welding a vband flange on your existing headers. Nice 930 btw!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 930

Thanks, my 1st 930,
my only concern is when it hits 100 here in AZ, a/c not like 993TT's I'm used to. Being as "hole set" had to be fabbed, maybe not to hard to install, Chris at TurboKraft says he can do, Is this it? http://www.tialsport.com/index.php/t...tx/107-gtx3576 I spoke to Tial last week about the GT35R, wonder why he didn't mention GTX.
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 AM
H2O LOL
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rare911s
Thanks, my 1st 930,
my only concern is when it hits 100 here in AZ, a/c not like 993TT's I'm used to. Being as "hole set" had to be fabbed, maybe not to hard to install, Chris at TurboKraft says he can do, Is this it? http://www.tialsport.com/index.php/t...tx/107-gtx3576 I spoke to Tial last week about the GT35R, wonder why he didn't mention GTX.
I'd be curious as to what Chris's thoughts are on it too. I just picked up a gt35r from him awhile back and he sure does know his stuff.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 AM
bucking
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headers are very nice and I really like removable heater boxes. Two concerns: (1) Primaries have welds on tubes housed in heater boxes, and (2) doesn't appear to be any rounded edges or flanges on heater box openings to minimize header tube wear or rattles.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rare911s
Thanks, my 1st 930,
You would want the 3582 not the 3576. I'm shocked you even got someone to pick up the phone at tial! They do not sell direct to customers and the customer service is almost non existent. They won't steer you one way or another really. What you are really buying from them is the hotside otherwise its a standard off the shelf GTX turbo.

Here is some reading on the GTX vs GT from garrett. After my experience with the tial alpha's with billet wheels I'm sold.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob..._Turbochargers
Old 02-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bucking
Headers are very nice and I really like removable heater boxes. Two concerns: (1) Primaries have welds on tubes housed in heater boxes, and (2) doesn't appear to be any rounded edges or flanges on heater box openings to minimize header tube wear or rattles.
I have not heard of these sets cracking as yet but time will tell. Lot's of guys running them on 930's over on pelican. The aluminum heater boxes will not abrade the 321 stainless headers. Once they are bolted on I really couldn't get them to rattle to be honest. The ceramic coating will help fill the gaps as it goes on quite thick.

One thing I really don't like are the wood? screws used to keep it all together. I got some alumium machine screws & nuts from mcmaster and will tack weld the nuts on the boxes so they can be secured properly AND the screws are adonized red which will match the tial wastegate. This of course is most important

This isn't a perfect system but it's reasonably priced ($300) and from reviews from 930 guys on pelican it works. The working part is what really matters
Old 10-18-2013, 05:04 AM
laxen
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More impression?

Spartan,

I am curious about how the installation of the headers has progressed and what your impressions of performance/function are? I'm considering getting these headers for my 964 3.3 turbo.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

I got the car back from surgery a few weeks ago and so far the headers seem to be fine. Don't like the exhaust note at all at idle and I didn't put the heater boxes on as the hung pretty low. This was the first exhaust for the 965 and they told me it wouldn't fit right since they didn't have a 965 to mock it up on. The were right and it took some cutting and welding to get the stick tips to fit in the bumper. They still stick out too much but that's a winter project. AS for the heating I'm making a box around the muffler outlet and hooking up the heater hoses there.

For the price the are good headers just beware you will have to spend time getting the post header exhaust to fit up correctly

Quick Reply: Rarlyl8 headers