964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

I feel Robbed ..(Blower motors)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 12:01 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 183 Posts
Default I feel Robbed ..(Blower motors)

4 years ago, one January, I took my 964 Turbo to a Porsche Indy shop In Louisville, KY to have an oil leak looked at.

Well after spending $700 on various little issues and after picking it up, i immediatley noticed the car was blowing cold air from the center vent, which was working fine when I dropped it off few days ago

The mechanic told me one of my blower motors went bad so reluctantly I paid $500 to fix the motor.

Since I don't drive the car in the winters, never had, so I never knew if the blower motors actually worked or not.

Not until, I recently got an estimate from Dan for 4 non- working blower motors

I am 100% confident that the the Indy mechanic swapped out my good motors for these bad motors until, you guys tell me they are normal to go out in our cars?

Does any one have any of the following motors:

964-624-901-00.......... Mixing Motor
964-624-902-00.......... Defrost Adj Motor
964-624-324-00 ..........Motor Heat Mixing
964-572-015-01 ..........Blower Motor

Thanks
Old 01-26-2013, 08:11 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All four??? That's very odd. I had one replaced last year but not all four. Some of the motors are a pain to access. I wonder if Dan is trying to cover his bases by listing all four.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

I've got the l/h mixing servo. PM me for details.
The Bosch Hammer can detect which servos and motors are bad. Is that how the diagnosis was made? I'm with porscheguy on this; odds are very much against all four being shot at the same time.
Actually, I've had two go bad. With the floor-center vent servo, I couldn't repair it but the l/h mixing motor I was able to revive it.
As for blowers, they go bad when the bearings get dry. A shot of aerosol anti-seize in each bearing saves you $900 per motor.
BTW, this is work that does not take great mechanical prowess. The benefit to handling simple tasks yourself is you are not at the mercy of unscrupulous mechanics, which to me is more important than the savings.

Quick Reply: I feel Robbed ..(Blower motors)