964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Mounting AFR wideband

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 12:15 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Mounting AFR wideband

Ok guys - planning to get a bung welded onto the cat bypass next week so I can mount up the AFR meter. I'm thinking I'm going to do it basically on the inside of the bend as it (the cat bypass) heads into the muffler - and pointing slightly downward (the wire end) coming out of the pipe for easy access.

Is there a good reason not to mount it this way or in this location?
-Now as I type this I recall reading somewhere ideally the WBO2 should point upwards so as not to collect moisture in the O2. But realistically, I'm in Colorado - it never rains. Hot boosted exhaust will dry any water/condensation in the exhaust. And I will likely not use the AFR all the time - just for initial tuning with increased boost and adj WUR - and if/when the car seems to be misbehaving I can plug it in very easily and check. I woudl have teh hoel plugged. But we'll see - maybe I'll leave it hooked up....

Anyway back to the question - is there a good reason not to mount there?
Old 01-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
I'm thinking I'm going to do it basically on the inside of the bend as it (the cat bypass) heads into the muffler - and pointing slightly downward (the wire end) coming out of the pipe for easy access.

Is there a good reason not to mount it this way or in this location?
-Now as I type this I recall reading somewhere ideally the WBO2 should point upwards so as not to collect moisture in the O2. But realistically, I'm in Colorado - it never rains. Hot boosted exhaust will dry any water/condensation in the exhaust. And I will likely not use the AFR all the time - just for initial tuning with increased boost and adj WUR - and if/when the car seems to be misbehaving I can plug it in very easily and check. I woudl have teh hoel plugged. But we'll see - maybe I'll leave it hooked up....

Anyway back to the question - is there a good reason not to mount there?
I would put it on a straight where it will be in gasses that are flowing in a laminar fashion. There's turbulence at bends which might affect accuracy.
The moisture that you have to worry about is condensation generated at start-up. I have mine about 8 inches before the bend at the tailpipe (so reversion doesn't affect it) and at about 9 o'clock. I think anywhere between 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock will keep you out of trouble.

Quick Reply: Mounting AFR wideband