964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 11:30 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Suspension

I've been searching the archives - but figured the board could use an updated thread on current suspension options.

Currently my car rides on H&R adjustable [ride height only] coilovers. I like that they are adjustable in height - the car feels great, takes most bumps pretty well - but expansion cracks and such - a little too harsh. Our roads in Denver are mediocre and I'm thinkng I need something a little more forgiving. What do others with this setup think? The car is street driven - not track. I'm running 18" wheels , too, FWIW. Maybe any sport suspension will be too harsh on our roads here....

I've seen people liking the H&R red (Turbo?) springs with Bilstein HD's.

What about a standard Euro (ROW?) setup? Is this "M030"? How do they compare to each other?

Are all the above parts still available?

Can you corner balance a car without a fully adjustable ride height setup (such as the H&R, PSS9, etc)? I'm assuming the spring/strut combos above just sit at whatever height they were designed for, right?

I've heard PSS9's are pretty harsh, too.

Other good options?

Thanks

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4

Last edited by urquattro20Vt; 10-25-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:33 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller...Bueller...?

:-)

Anybody have experience with multiple suspension setups who can comment on H&R adjustable coilovers vs. other options?

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 02-20-2013, 08:45 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the H&R reds with Bilstein HD. It has been corner balanced and aligned. Worth every penny....love it.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
I've been searching the archives - but figured the board could use an updated thread on current suspension options.

Currently my car rides on H&R adjustable [ride height only] coilovers. I like that they are adjustable in height - the car feels great, takes most bumps pretty well - but expansion cracks and such - a little too harsh. Our roads in Denver are mediocre and I'm thinkng I need something a little more forgiving. What do others with this setup think? The car is street driven - not track. I'm running 18" wheels , too, FWIW. Maybe any sport suspension will be too harsh on our roads here....

I've seen people liking the H&R red (Turbo?) springs with Bilstein HD's.

What about a standard Euro (ROW?) setup? Is this "M030"? How do they compare to each other?

Are all the above parts still available?

Can you corner balance a car without a fully adjustable ride height setup (such as the H&R, PSS9, etc)? I'm assuming the spring/strut combos above just sit at whatever height they were designed for, right?

I've heard PSS9's are pretty harsh, too.

Other good options?

Thanks

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
The turbo came stock with the M030/33 springs although their part number was different. You are still running stock Boge shocks which fail over time and become very stiff prior to completely failing.

I am running H&R cup fully adjustable with mono-*****, camber plates and H&R sways the car actually handles but at a sacrifice to roads with rough surface. If you plan on street driving the H&R is adequate although I have heard many gravitating to The KW V3
Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

H&R with Bilsteins and have absolute no complaints.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JRossRSA
I have the H&R reds with Bilstein HD. It has been corner balanced and aligned. Worth every penny....love it.
This.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If ride quality is an issue, you may want consider the Koni FSD

http://www.paragon-products.com/product-p/2100-4111.htm

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 PM
H2O LOL
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have pss9s and I wouldn't call them harsh. Remember springs and the adjustable aspect let you get it where you like it.
He Cobalt, how are your sways setup? F/R
Old 02-22-2013, 12:30 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Has anybody also driven (or ridden in) an H&R coilover equipped car and can give a comparison? Suspension feel is somewhat subjective, and roads vary by locale - so what may feel good in one area may feel harsh in another - only way to know is to have driven or ridden in different setups....
I'll see if I can swing rides in some local cars - that's the best way ot compare setups...

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 02-22-2013, 01:18 AM
e6tme
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't comment on the H&R coilovers, I recently installed Bilstein HDs with H&R springs.

The Bilsteins, like the standard shocks, have threaded bodies to adjust ride height and corner balance.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I started with a 2xk mile car that was harsh as can be. The boge shocks were old and hard dampening was gone. Not knowing the car back in 03 I went for a softer ride so I installed Bilstein HD's with H&R greens. The ride was soft way too soft in fact. I purchased my C2 in 2005 with Bilstein HD's and Eibachs. The Eibachs were a little bit stiffer than the greens. So I switched the greens out with reds which improved the handling of the turbo but was still not tight enough in the corners for me. The C2 got a complete upgrade. I sent the HD's back for valving to work with a combo of Hypercoil and Eibach springs 2.5" dia. I also installed TRG sways and the car handles so much better than stock so I finally gave in and decided to do something to the turbo. I happened upon a set of NLA H&R cup suspension. This also allowed me to lower the turbo to RS/3.3 turbo S ride height. The ride is fine on most surfaces but it is somewhat similar to how it felt when I first got it with the boges. The difference is that 1) the car only is harsh when you hit washboard, bad bumps or expansion strips on bridges with the Boge's it was harsh all the time. Although it was tail happy and did not handle safely with the boge's in their condition. 2) Now the car handles like it is on rails much the way my C2 handles but being a turbo not as agile but more stable due to the wider track and the faster the better although at high speeds if you hit a pot hole it can be a handful. High speed stability in the turns is 50% better than with the H&R reds and HD's albeit at a compromise when you are on rough surfaces.

I have three cars set up differently with adjustable sways but IIRC the turbo is set to the middle of the five up front and the softest of the three in the rear. But I will need to check to verify.

I still have my original suspension (I keep everything so it can be put back to original if needed) and I still have the HD's and reds just in case.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:40 AM
H2O LOL
Pro

Interesting, the new H&Rs only have two holes on both front and back.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:58 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by H2O LOL
Interesting, the new H&Rs only have two holes on both front and back.
These are a number of years old and IIRC they became unavailable for a while but never followed up on any change to the design so they may be different design since we had to make some adjustments (ie drop links) to make it work. Unfortunately the rear bar is different width than the C2 otherwise you would have more options.

I just don't have the time to put the car up on the lift right now. I did try to get some pictures with my phone but this is all I can get. You can see the H&R housing and mono-ball in the background you can see the drop link and sway bar. I checked and it is set to the middle of the three settings.

I added a picture of the top of the front struts with camber plates there is no way to take a picture of the front without putting the car up on the lift and a picture of the bilstein H&R reds I removed.
Attached Images    
Old 02-25-2013, 07:37 AM
eyue
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running K&W V3 for years, and yeah, they are quite comfortable for daily and normal track event !
Old 02-25-2013, 10:52 AM
H2O LOL
Pro

Wow those look to be hanging low. The new ones are a perfect fit just thicker, I don't really see why they couldn't have added more adjustment but I didn't study them too hard durning the install. Thanks for the pic.

Quick Reply: Suspension