964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Car Control Clinic

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 12:56 AM
Ian964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Car Control Clinic

I'm bring my C2T to my local PCA car control clinic this sunday.

This is going to be my first experience with autocross/racing. Anyone know what I might expect at one of these? Any suggestions on driving the turbo?

I plan on attending all 4 autocross events and I figured this would help alot.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:32 PM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

In autox the turbo with its 100% lock dif and lite front does not want to turn easely.

I am still expermenting but in theory.

Might try initiating the turn while braking with the weight is still transfed onto the front wheels. Once the car has started it's momentum rotating try to get on the gas some to reduce the dif loc to 40 percent. Watch out for the boost as it will easly upset the car till it gets straight.

I found I was faster in the morning when I was taking it easy v the afternoon as I started to try to go faster.

Old rule, figure out which turns come into the longest straight and make sure you set up right for the fastest exit speed onto the straight.

If they give you a warm up lap then timed lap, make sure you exit the corner just before the timed section to max your exit speed for the start of your timed section. Go wide if you have to to get more speed for your timed lap.

Can help to draw the course when you walk it. (get there early) After your run, stop the car, close your eyes and run it again in your head.

Pick markers on the course that can be a reference for your braking, turn, and shift points - if any.

Some times it is better to just leave it in one gear even if it seems to slow you in some places like out of a corner or at the end of a straight Makes you smother and lets you concentrat on the track.

Good luck.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:03 AM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

My mistake, lock up on accel is only 20%.

A good advanced cornering technique for a C2Turbo if you are realy good, would be to left foot brake in the corners while keeping the gas on, This keeps boost up and keeps the diff lock at a minimum to make turning easer.

I just picked up the 91 C2 Turbo tec book and the diff does go into 100% lock on lift the inhibit oversteer.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:33 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Since it's the first time on a track concentrate on learning how to drive the car smooth with great balance. Balance is the key word.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:17 PM
Ian964
Pro

I should probably check my tire presure before I go. I've never done this, how many PSI should be running in the front/rear?
Old 05-10-2003, 11:46 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have used 32 psi Front and 34psi rear on the street and it works great.

You might want to try that and make adjustment from there. By the way, I am running stock wheels and tires sizes.

Regards, and have fun,

Sonny
Old 05-11-2003, 06:10 PM
oscar965
Advanced

Sonny, did you out the spacers on your car yet ?
And if so: what size, and do you have some pics ?

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2003, 01:16 AM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oscar,

I haven't gotten the spacers yet. But Adrian recomended 17mm all the way around to bring the wheels closer to the fenders.

I am going to get 15mm spacers just to be safe. These will be the wheel adapters type spacers with the studs already built in. You could check them out at H&R website.

Regards,

Sonny

Quick Reply: Car Control Clinic