Warm up valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 04:54 PM
oscar965
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Warm up valve

Hi all,

Today I went to the dealer to reassemble my intercooler-to-turbo hose again (pops off all the time-HELP ) and he noticed that my warm up valve was leaking fuel.
The bad news is that this can only be fixed by replacing it, which, in my opinion, is STUPID ! The costs are about $/€ 1000,- ! And it is only the membrane leaking.
Does anyone have a tip for me to get this done more affordable ?

TIA !
Old 04-29-2003, 12:35 AM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

I don't know if it is worth the effort, but there is a guy here in the USA that is changing his 92 C2T to EFI. I think his car has around 40k miles on it. If you want a used one I could tell him to check the board and contact you.

He sold my his Ignition Unit & it works great.

If you are doing mods to your car or running 1 bar boost. The 3.6 WUR had different specs for on boost operation that adds a bit more fuel.

Old 04-29-2003, 04:48 PM
oscar965
Advanced

So you advise to place the (turbo?) 3,6 version in stead of the stock 3,3 version ? I'm planning the 1 bar boost this year.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:16 PM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

I can not call myself an expert, just an someone that likes to read the Porsche tech manuals, but I would do it if it were my car. But, only if I needed a WUR anyway and I had or was going to a modified car (1 bar boost).

Both cars determin how much fuel is supplyed by how much air pushes past the air flow metering plate. Thus, the same Air/Fuel at cruse. Both systems are the same except that the WUR on the 3.6 "on boost" goes to a lower "control presure" than the 3.3 C2T. This means more fuel on boost and only on bost.

Another reference is that 3.6 is about 10% biger than a 3.3 Turbo. Also, 2 bar is about 10% more air flow than the stock 1.7/1.8 bar of a 3.3. (1bar atmosphere + boost added) Again, the 3.6 needs about 10% more fuel on boost and a 3.3 runing 1 bar boost needs about 10% more fuel on boost. At least it makes sence to me!

All CIS turbos get more fuel at after .5 bar boost.

They actualy get more fuel than needed at first then they get progressively lean as the rpm's increase. On a modified car runing higher boost, they can get a bit to lean above 5000 rpm. Not a problem for spurts of power but to much heat if driving hard for sustained periods which can burn Pistons. (C2's are realy just a modified 930 motors w better turbo & intercooler installed from the factory).

As you need a new WUR any way, another good option would be to go to the WUR as modified by John & Lee Rice. Instead of wating to .5 bar boost for more fuel, it gives you instant fuel as soon as you start to accel for better off boost pick up, and also more fuel on boost, if you need it. He builds them from a new WUR and for your aplication.

Having said all this, I am in the process of installing my own expernmental system that changes WUR pressure(s) electronicaly. This should allow me to map my contol pressure(s) and thus my A/F ratios at any vac-boost by RPM point(s). Hope to try it next week for the first time.

Keith

Quick Reply: Warm up valve