964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Sold...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 01:36 PM
greg1234
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sold...

Well I finally sold my Turbo 3.6 and I'm now without a Porsche again. I will have to rely on motorbikes for fun, though I'm not sure that a British winter is the best time to start. On the other hand I have my nice warm comfortable Alpina to take care of me through the winter......

As always it's when the new owner drives your car away that you feel a pang of regret and a sudden fear that you've made a mistake....

Ah well. It was fun for a while.

(My 2-year old daughter is going to be devastated.... )
Old 10-28-2002, 02:41 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why did you end up selling the car? I would only sell mine when I pick up a RUF 993 Turbo R in a year or two.

fc-racer
Old 10-28-2002, 03:45 PM
greg1234
Racer

Hi FC.

I sold the car for several reasons. First of all the company I sold mine to went bust, taking pretty much all my money with them. So whilst at the time I could easily afford the car, I can't really justify it now with a tax bill coming up.

Secondly - I guess the novelty wore off. (I've had my Alpina for two years and that's the longest I've ever owned any car.)

Thirdly - given free choice, I was tending to take the Alpina over the Porsche. I think the Alpina just suits me better - every time I get in it I feel more at home. It's not just a question of comfort - it's the whole package, performance, handling etc - I just like the Alpina better.

They are amazing cars though. I don't really know where you go after a Turbo 3.6...!
Old 10-29-2002, 05:32 AM
Christer
Race Car

Wink

Greg

I didn't think it would come to this, but it sounds like you made the right decision for you. Anyway, it always did have dodgy suspension...

Good luck with the taxman and I guess we will still see you on here every so often?
Old 10-29-2002, 09:05 AM
Vince5
Instructor

That's sad but with an Alpina B10 you still have a great car! I understand you are keeping this one longer than any other. I have an E39 M5 and I am deeply in love with it. Although I must say if I had to choose today between the 2 I would rather sell the M5 and buy a cheap 2nd hand car for every day use rather than sell my 964T2. Mainly because I really like track driving, the M5 is too big for that....
Outside the track the M5 is both faster and more comfortable....
Old 10-29-2002, 01:06 PM
greg1234
Racer

Christer - yeah, you may be right about the suspension. Had the car handled *perfectly* I might have found it more painful to get rid. As far as Rennlist goes, I plan to lurk for a while...

I guess there's only so much you can do with a car like that unless you use it on the track. Plus with it being rare and expensive it's not the kind of car you want to use daily. SO it ends up being used every now and then, on a weekend - and it's a lot of money tied up in something that you only use once or twice a month.

Anyway - I want to do a few trackdays (either car or bike) and we'll see if that's more rewarding (I'm sure it will be)...
Old 10-29-2002, 03:24 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Greg, if you take your bike to the track, you'll never take the car to the track again. I took the Duc out to SIR and have never looked back, I've never taken the Porsche out since.

The bike is so much more intense and because of the size of the bike, passing is allowed anywhere. I love the feeling of diving up the inside of someone, reminds me of my karting days.

Going into turn 1 at SIR almost on the rev limiter at 260km/h is just awesome.

fc-racer

Quick Reply: Sold...