Measuring hp on Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 05:29 PM
greg1234
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Measuring hp on Turbos

Hi all.

When I was at JZ Machtech I asked about getting the T3.6 dynoed, and they told me they wouldn't attempt it because on a dyno the car won't get enough cooling airflow and the temperature would go through the roof within minutes.

What is the deal here? Obviously it must be possible to dyno cars like ours... do I just need to find a garage with more sophisticated equipment or what?
Old 06-21-2002, 05:50 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by greg1234:
<strong>...the car won't get enough cooling airflow and the temperature would go through the roof within minutes.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Luckily a dyno run only takes seconds!
Old 06-21-2002, 08:56 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Greg,

I am glad that you suspension has been resoloved.

As for dyno, people use shop fans to simulate moving air when dyno test our cars. At least one or two in the front to cool the oil down, and one near the intercooler also.

Regards,

Sonny
Old 07-02-2002, 11:31 AM
Mark S.
Instructor

<strong>Hi all.

When I was at JZ Machtech I asked about getting the T3.6 dynoed, and they told me they wouldn't attempt it because on a dyno the car won't get enough cooling airflow and the temperature would go through the roof within minutes.

What is the deal here? Obviously it must be possible to dyno cars like ours... do I just need to find a garage with more sophisticated equipment or what?</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 07-02-2002, 11:35 AM
Mark S.
Instructor

You can dyno these cars but you must place a fan at the rear of the car in addition to the front. Blow the air right in the turbo unit. I did not and the turbo unit got so hot that the heat insulation between the bumper and the sheet metal started to smoke.

Then the dyno tech pushed down on the center bumper section to see what was smoking and bent the aluminim support built into the rear center bumper section. So now I'm replacing that section which significantly increases the cost of the dyno exercise.

<strong>Hi all.

What is the deal here? Obviously it must be possible to dyno cars like ours... do I just need to find a garage with more sophisticated equipment or what?</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 07-06-2002, 07:17 PM
Dave Sims
Intermediate

Try this:

<a href="http://www.g-force-motorsport.co.uk/dyno/dyno.htm" target="_blank">http://www.g-force-motorsport.co.uk/dyno/dyno.htm</a>
Old 07-09-2002, 05:23 AM
jpm
AutoX

Hi Greg1234 and y'all,
Dave Sims is right, G-Force does have a new rolling road system which can cope with 1,800 bhp 4 wheel drive, all without wheelspin problems.
The Dyno Dynamics system is in it's own booth with seven directional cooling fans and was designed with mapping cars like their GT1 in mind. 515 bhp Turbo in there just yesterday.

Quick Reply: Measuring hp on Turbos