Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Wierd problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 01:37 AM
J-McDonald
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It may be your fan blower motor. The bearing in the fan blower motor on my '91 C2 went south and it made the most awful "screetching" noise. It started making noise intermittenly, and then became more steady. The blower comes on, as you said, when the ignition key is turned one "click" (i.e., when the engine is not running). The fan blower is located in the top left of the engine compartment. As I recall, the bearing isn't available separately - you have to replace the entire mechanism. It still, however, wasn't very expensive to replace. Pop the decklid, turn the key one click and see if you can trace the noise source. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2003, 01:58 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Um this is the Turbo forum John. The Turbos do not have rear blower fans mounted on the engine. There is no room. The intercooler covers the whole engine.
The blower fans (2 off fitted) are mounted in the left and right rear wheel well area. They are optional as well. I have seen many Turbos not fitted with them.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 04-17-2003, 08:39 PM
Ian964
Pro

Well the noise is much worse now and its turned more into a vibration/low rumble. Its almost as loud as the engine at idle now.

It will make this noise with the engine started and with also just the power on. I can hear it coming from some place down low to the left side, but thats about it, its very crowded in there. Any suggestions at what I should look at? It sound like it may be very close to the left wheel well.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:00 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Ian,
You have posted over on the 964 forum as well. Do you own a Turbo or a standard normally aspirated 964. The engines are chalk and cheese and I think everyone needs to know what actual 964 series you own.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 04-19-2003, 12:06 PM
Ian964
Pro

Adrian, sorry about that

I do own a 964 turbo and I can hear the sound coming from the left wheel well. It comes on with just the electricity. Would this be something I could look at myself or should I take it to a shop?
Old 04-21-2003, 07:29 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Ian,
In the left wheel well is the left hand rear blower fan. What you can do is check your heating temp control ****. Turn it to the blue dot position. This will turn off the heating system. The fan should not run when blue dot is selected. Do this before you turn the ignition on. If the noise goes away turn the **** to the red dot position and see if it comes back. This will basically confirm it is the left rear blower fan. You will obviously need to check they are installed. Most turbos have them even though they are technically an option.
The fans are the only electrically powered devices in the rear wheel wells that I know of.
Yours would be the first turbo I am aware of a failure in one of these fans. You might want to check to see if anything has got into the fan. If the fan bearing is making the noise it can be temporarily solved by a). not using the heating or b) injecting some light oil (sewing machine oil) into the motor bearings.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: Having these fans working is useful not just for heating. If you engine is getting hot you can turn the heating up to full or red dot position and this will help remove hot air from the engine bay. Just wind the windows donw and make sure all the vents are open.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:09 AM
Ian964
Pro

Adrian, that was exactly what it was. I turned the heater to the blue **** and the sound went off! Thanks a lot, you really helped me out.

I tried to get in there and see if but I didn't really know what I was looking for. Do you know of any books that would show me how to get in there?

Do you think I should get this fixed before I drive it much or should I be ok to drive it around? I can live without heat now that its summer. Any guess on the cost of fixing this.

Thanks again Adrain, you saved me a lot of money!!!
Old 04-27-2003, 08:41 PM
bxtrgt
Instructor

The C2t has heater assist blowers in the rear fenders, behind the wheels. Perhaps you have your heat on, and the one on the drivers side is a bit noisy. With heat on, key on and engine not running they may still be blowing air.

If your engine still runs OK, don't worry about the missed shift. We have all done this, probably more than once if we drive hard enough.
------------------------------
Len Cummings
BoxsterGT
Lifetime Rennlister
Old 04-27-2003, 08:49 PM
bxtrgt
Instructor

Sorry, I missed page 2. Glad you found the noisy fan.
-----------------
Len
Old 04-28-2003, 12:32 AM
Ian964
Pro

bxtrgt: Thanks for the help!

Do you have a C2T? I live in new hampshire, drove threw stow mass today actualy. I'd love to see yours some time.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:24 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Ian,
I expect to see you next time we visit NH. Will not be too far away either. The last time we were over your way 50 plus people showed up at JDs place. Next time we got to have a 100. Even the local troopers took up position at the end of the street.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 04-28-2003, 07:42 PM
Ian964
Pro

Adrain: Cool. When are you coming to NH? I live on the coast so if your going to be anywhere near that then you'll be pretty close.

Later.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:09 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ian:

To access the rear blower fans, remove the plastic liners in the wheel well. If you look under the car, you will see the hose that connects the blower to the header - you can trace that back up to the blower. It is easy to access. Once you get it out, check it with a 12 volt supply to isolate the noise.

Mine did the same thing (right side), I took it out, lubricated the motor, adjusted the housing and put it back it. Problem solved.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:20 PM
Ian964
Pro

JBH, thanks! Do I have to take the wheel off to get at those plastic liners?

Quick Reply: Wierd problem